1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be the coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 24, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Pretty sure Georgia Tech's going to be in the market for a new head coach, as well. Chan the man's 0-6 against Georgia.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Um, Colorado State is in Fort Collins, not Colorado Springs. That's Air Force.

No freaking way I can see Franchione in Fort Collins. While I know CSU would like to get back to where they were during Sonny Lubick's heyday (the school DID name the field in his honor), I can't see the administration wanting the blood on their hands that Franchione would bring.

If nothing else, Franchione's disappearing act out of Tuscaloosa should factor in. Part of what made Sonny such a name in Fort Collins is he didn't regard the Colorado State job as a steppingstone.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That Chris Petersen (Boise State) hasn't been mentioned yet in connection with TAMU or the possible Wazzu opening is shocking, so I'm doing it :D

I don't think he'll leave, but he's getting mentioned for BCS jobs, and not just on fanboards.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

At Michigan?: Les Miles

At Arkansas?: Mike Leach

At Nebraska?: Turner Gill or Craig Bohl

At LSU?: Fuck if I know...

At Texas A&M?: Tommy Tuberville

At Auburn?: Will Muschamp

At Baylor?: Houston Nutt or Tommy Bowden

Texas Tech?: Art Briles

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He's also been getting mention at Nebraska.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Auburn's a job for a first-time head coach. I like Will and think he's a good coach, but I don't think he's ready for that.

I think he'd have a better shot at the Ole Miss job.

7. Armchair_QB

Did anybody else know that UCLA could win the Pac 10 if it beats USC and Arizona beats ASU?

8. Armchair_QB

BTW, there is no fucking way Ferentz is leaving Iowa this year.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Indeed, Muschamp's name has come up.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Some total shots in the dark:

At Michigan?

I still think Miles, but the Ferentz rumors have picked up a lot of steam in the last day or so, supposedly some Iowa outlets are reporting he has actually been offered the job. There has been some minor bubbling that U-M has sent out some feelers to Bill Cowher to gauge if he has any interest in college coaching.

At Arkansas?

If Miles ends up staying at LSU, I think this is where Petrino makes his move for a HC job. I wonder if Jim Haslett, now DC for the Rams, has any interest in a college job.

At Nebraska?

Turner Gill isn't ready. This seems to be a place for Jim Grobe to finally make the move to the top level of BCS schools. No need for OJT -- he already knows how to run a program. He and Osborne seem to have pretty similar personalities -- it might work great, or it might blow up. Depending of course how long Dr. Tom intends to stay in the AD chair.

At LSU?

I think Pelini moves up. Petrino, if he truly wants out of Atlanta, makes sense too.

At Texas A&M?

Peterson from Boise State might be a good fit here. Gary Barnett, who supposedly wants to get back into coaching, might be another possibility.

At Auburn?

Another possible Petrino landing spot, if he bails from the NFL.

Baylor?

This seems to be a job with Glen Mason written all over it. Mason is good at taking a bottom-feeder program and lifting it to moderate respectability (mainly through the use of cupcake scheduling), which is what BU needs right now. I don't think Mason would be anywhere near as good at a school which is already respectable-or-better, and whose ambition is to win a national championship, not maybe go to the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Colorado State?

John L. Smith crashed and burned at Michigan State, but has had lots of success at mid-level programs and knows the region from his days at Utah State. Dan McCarney, now DC for Leavitt at USF, would make sense here too.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i just don't see muschamp being ready -- especially for a gig like auburn. and not just because i still think of him as a safety for the dogs

i still wonder if michigan will at least give a look at brian kelly

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I said this when Bama was looking, before Saban was hired there.
    There's a guy with D-I assistant experience who won a D-II national title in 2000.
    He wins everywhere he goes.
    Steve Campbell's his name. He most recently won the 2007 JUCO title in Mississippi and will take his team to a JUCO bowl game.
    Steve Campbell wins wherever he goes. He motivates people. He has coached in the big leagues, most recently as O-line coach under Sherrill at MSU.
    Scoop this guy up, and turn your program around, Ole Miss.
    I promise you.

Draft saved Draft deleted