1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be the coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 24, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I know Terry Bowden wants and has campaigned a bit for the Ole Miss job.

The next month or so is going to be very interesting.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How long has he been out of coaching?

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I believe he left Auburn in 1998.

Apparently he got the urge to get back into coaching when Rodriguez was close to leaving West Virginia (Bowden's alma mater) for Bama. He was going to make a run at the WVa. job if Rod left.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Everyone points to Vermeil being successful in St. Louis after a long layoff, but didn't he get pretty close to being run out of town before that Super Bowl season?

Terry was pretty young, IIRC, when he left Auburn, under 40 possibly, so he's not a total old fuddy duddy trying to break back into the game.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The Mississippi Madman....he gone!

Blame his 4-and-1 call in the Egg Bowl yesterday, and his pulling of Brent Schaffer in the second quarter of the LSU for the trigger that got him nailed.

Oh, did I mention that his players steal clock radios and pillows from hotels?

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Not all of them! Just 20 of the 70 or so on the travel squad.

7. D-3 Fan

Rumor floating that Lubick wants to coach one more year in Colorado Springs.

John, a few bad apples always ruin the crop. ;)

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So is Ferentz really leaving Iowa for the Michigan gig?

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Greg Schiano will be the new head coach at Penn State

In 2027.

10. D-3 Fan

If Bill Martin is wise, he would tell Mary Sue Coleman to pipe down with the Ferentz talk. Coleman was prez @ Iowa when Kirk was hired. He was the second choice after they (Iowa) fucked up and lost Stoops to OU. Coleman and Carr really like Ferentz, and wouldn't have a problem moving him to Ann Arbor.

But there are a few issues that UM will have to ask themselves:

1) Salary. KF is getting about $2.9 million/year (thanks to former AD Bob Bowlsby), and the Board of Regents are not keen to letting him out of his contract or buying him out. Does UM have the $$$ to pay him.
    2) Iowa isn't Michigan. Michigan brings in 5-star players and would be a goldmine to Ferentz. But he has shown during his tenure that he can take 3-star mediocre players and get them to overachieve. Can his coaching philosophy fit
    3) Loyalty to a fault. Iowa has struggled over the last three years due to the inability of KF to get his OC Ken O'Keefe to change the offense to compliment the players they have recruited and brought in. They don't spread the ball around, preferring to run it up the gut and toss jailbreak screens as a last resort.
    4) Success brings problems. Nearly 15 players have run afoul of the law within the past 12 months. The natives here are restless because they are used to a clean, "wholesome" farm boy image. These fans needs to get a reality check.
    5) Does he really want to jump ship from one B10 school to another? It's like Ben Franklin hopping on a boat and sailing back to England, after helping America become a country.

My opinion is this: I don't think he'll go. He'll listen, but he won't go, because he feels that he needs to right the ship in Iowa City and leaving would be out of the question to him.

11. I don't agree with that statement.
    First, I think NU can and should do better than either one. However, of the two, at least Gill has head coaching experience and he's been in the business for a long time with a lot of success. Pelini has been in the business less time with some success (no national titles) and he's a bit of a crazy man.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

His name came up with regard to the Ole Miss job. Seems to me that chatted with him back at the time of the horribly flawed process that yielded Coach O-and-8.

Draft saved Draft deleted