1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be Super Bowl halftime act? Yes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 12, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My sister has two tickets to see him a week today at the Air Canada Centre and she wants me to go with her. I think it's something like her fifth or sixth Buffet concert. I really don't want to go but she keeps pestering me (you have to know my sister to appreciate this).

I'll use your comments as a my reason NOT to go. :) Thanks

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's what I always wonder when people get all excited over the Super Bowl preshow and halftime show.
    If you claim to be the greatest sport in America and this is your greatest game and you always get great ratings because people who know nothing about football think they have to go to a Super Bowl party, why do you need entertainment to attract people?
    Isn't the greatest game of the greatest sport supposed to be enough?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They haven't had Dylan yet. That would be fun. :D :D

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How big is the list they're choosing from? They have to be big. They have to be mainstream enough that people in their 20s won't think it's lame and people in their 60s will have heard of them. That limits the list considerably...

1. U2
    2. Springsteen
    3. Paul McCartney
    4. Rolling Stones
    5. Billy Joel
    6. Sting/Police
    7. Bon Jovi
    8. Eagles
    9. The Who
    10. Stevie Wonder

Maybe Van Halen? I don't think Journey is big enough. Coldplay? Maybe... Zeppelin or AC/DC would probably be too controversial.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Only if he sings Rainy Day Women... ;D

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd like a duet between Dylan and Tom Waits, with Shane MacGowan for three-part harmony.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, does the NFL think the halftime show draws more viewers than the SB would with no halftime mini-concert?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I didn't think he came around our part of the world too often. I much prefer his books to his music although I own the four-CD box he put out a few years back and it makes good summer listening (or occasionally in the winter if you want to feel like you're in a beachside bar), particularly stuff you don't hear all the time like "Elvis Imitators", "Pencil Thin Mustache" and "The Great Filling Station Holdup".

9. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

It's not just a game, it's an event. It's the one game non-football people watch every year, so you have to have something for them -- aside from commercials.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You also want a band or a person who will get you excited and not depress you.

If I cannot drink a PBR to it, I do not want it on the halftime show.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Elton John could make that list Mozzou.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dylan/Baez would be something.

They could do all their 60's protest songs. The networks would love that.

Draft saved Draft deleted