1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be Super Bowl halftime act? Yes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Muse isn't established enough yet (though I'm pretty sure everyone in the U.S. has heard Uprising, whether they know it or not), but they'd be perfect for a Super Bowl set.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if this story grows legs & becomes a big headache for the NFL.

Whatever you want to think about Townshend -- and his excuse was pretty lame -- the NFL is not going to want this to be any kind of story during Super Bowl week.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Super Bowl is in Dallas next year, right?
    I'm thinking Jessica Simpson would be a perfect halftime act.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Why not? It's not like Tony Romo's going to be there.

5. Yes, because the 100+ shows shows that The Who has done in America since that time--not to mention the Kennedy Center Honors designation--didn't happen, right?

He was convicted of nothing, and hid nothing.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Time will tell if this becomes a bigger story. I'm just saying that I think there's a good chance that it will.

The people complaining are sympathetic and will likely get some ink -- if not now, then during Super Bowl week when there's a a lot of space that needs to be filled.

I think the NFL will have to respond in some fashion. Someone is going to ask them about it. They're not going to like the attention and there's no good answer to the question.

Either you dig in, defend him, and say there's no problem, which makes you look unsympathetic & will only increase the opposition to him/them. Or you admit to some level of discomfort with your own choice, which will lead to questions about why they were chosen and why they are going to be permitted to go forward with their performance.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The Who suck.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Did I read too fast or has nobody suggested they get John Fogerty to do the halftime show?
    If you want to appeal to that 40-55 demographic, why not get the Grateful Dead (or whatever they're calliing themselves nowadays when they tour)? For the Dead, you could have a great tie-in if you got Frito-Lay as the halftime sponsor.

For when the Super Bowl hits New Orleans, they should appeal to the older part of the demographic and get Fats Domino (if he's still around), Dr. John, and Buckwheat Zydeco to do the halftime show.

9. Says the guy with this year's Martika as his avatar.

Draft saved Draft deleted