1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be Mitt's running mate?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 14, 2012.

?

Who will Mitt Romney choose as his prospective VP?

1. Chris Christie

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Rob Portman

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Marco Rubio

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  4. Paul Ryan

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Other

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  6. Tim Pawlenty

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. Bob McDonnell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. joe

joe Active Member

Nah, just a drink or nine.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Crist remains 'WAY off the national radar.

Skeletons. Closet.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

McDonnell would not be a terrible choice. He can battle the gay rights issue, and he could swing VA back to the GOP.

But after 2008, anything is possible. God, was Palin just an amazingly poor choice. I still cannot get my head around how smart people, and these are smart people which I do not agree with on matters, could screw up something so badly.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

McDonnell could swing Virginia, but it won't matter unless Mittens draws a royal flush on the swing states. Ohio or Florida alone is ballgame for Obama.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's safe to say nobody in the republican party would go near Crist after he ran as an independent in 2010.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't imagine that Romney would pick "a boring white guy" unless all of the people who don't fit that description turn him down which is possible, but probably not as likely as it would have seemed a couple months ago.

I don't think Romney is worried about being overshadowed by his VP if it makes him a stronger candidate. If he is, then he deserves to lose.

I'm assuming Rubio would all-but guarantee that Florida would go to the republicans. I don't know if Portman could deliver Ohio and I doubt Ryan could deliver Wisconsin.

If Rubio is the guy who could deliver a key state and make the base happy, he has to be the first choice. Jeb would be an interesting choice too, but I can't imagine Romney picking him or Jeb accepting.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jeb would be suicide.

As it stands now the Repubes can snivel, "quit talking about Bush, Bush isn't president any more" (as if Romney doesn't completely endorse the Bush agenda) but not with Jebby Boy on the ticket.

All of a sudden it becomes all about Bush again.

9. sportbook

sportbook Member

McCain would have lost by double digits without Palin.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania is not a swing state. It is actually becoming a dark blue state in terms of the presidential race.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I thought so, too, at one time, but others have brought up his planned-parenthhood stance, and that won't float, given the inmates currently exercising their iron hold over the franchise.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You guys still keep flogging O'Clownell, and most women with spines will crawl over ground glass to make sure the guy gets nowhere near the White House.

Draft saved Draft deleted