1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was your favorite team to play as in Tecmo Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beaker, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I played that game to death in middle school. Thurman Thomas used to rush for over 10,000 yards a season. And was it this game or another that stopped counting TDs at 99, because in one of those games my QB, Mark Rypien I believe, would throw for that many TDs before it stopped counting.

2. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

How is that possible? Against the computer, I'd usually score a touchdown on the first play or two of every possession, and on defense it was usually three-and-out, and I'd only end up with scores like 77-0.

3. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

A great ode to Bo Jackson:

I never liked the Raiders because running took up too much clock. But he was insane.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

For the record, there can never be too much Super Tecmo discussion (or any NES game for that matter) here.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For fun, sometimes I would set up pro bowl rosters with all the shittiest players and easy plays to spot on one side, and then all the best guys and plays on mine. Just to see how many yards and points I could rack up. I broke 1,000 passing yards (it stopped counting at 999) and 100 points in a game with Randall Cunningham once. Just stuffed the computer three and out, usually got a few safeties, then would take the kickoff and run out of bounds inside the 10. A few passes would have me inside their 10, then on first down I'd run all the way back and step out around my own 5. A few plays later, I scored and had like 300 yards on one scoring drive. Every drive was the same.

But in a regular game that isn't rigged? I don't see how that's possible.

6. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

http://www.everyvideogame.com/play-nes-Tecmo_Super_Bowl_(U).htm

The Bills were, and still are, my team. Thurman Thomas was unstoppable.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thomas was great in the Madden games of the early 90s. That run off left tackle couldn't be stopped and I've never seen a video game back better on swing passes from the backfield.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

This isn't exactly true; take it from someone who just finished ANOTHER season of Tecmo Super Bowl recently.

The top rushing and receiving stats a player can accrue in any one season is roughly 4,500. With some of the best players in the game -- Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice -- I've gotten to that plateau within 8-9 games, and the computer just stops counting at that number. TDs do go to 99, but that's awfully hard to get to.

That being said, Bo was the best offensive player, simply unstoppable, followed by Barry Sanders. In that next class would be Thurman Thomas and Jerry Rice. Aside from the Jackson-Marcus Allen backfield, the Giants' combo of Anderson and Meggett and the Chiefs' combo of Okoye and Word were also great.

Oh, and aside from QB Browns you also had QB Bills and QB Eagles. That damn rollout from the shotgun the computer would use with QB Eagles was awfully tough to stop.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

KC was unstoppable. Okoye was unstoppable. Derrick Thomas was unstoppable. And yes, even Steve "Pinkie" DeBerg was unstoppable.

10. It’s the first video game to keep stats. Put it in the Hall of Fame for that reason alone.

11. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Oh how I miss that game. Were it to come out on a present-day platform, but with the same graphics, music and sound as of old, I would possibly run over small children to be first in line at the store.

Ready? Down! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut! Hut!

12. That’s hilarious. You’re right. The snap count always was on 15.

Draft saved Draft deleted