1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was your favorite team to play as in Tecmo Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beaker, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

We had one NES thread going, so I thought I'd start another one.

I'm relatively new to the board, so I apologize if it's been covered before-I didn't see it in a search.

My classic team was always the Giants. They were pretty hard to beat with Ottis Anderson and David Megget. If you had Anderson in excellent or good condition, he'd just bowl over people Okoye style, just faster. Megget's only achilles heel was the injuries. You couldn't go wrong with Simms at qb.

Plus, good ol' coked out LT on defense could get like 70 sacks.

Then when I needed a challenge, I'd play as the Pats. God, Grogan was god awful-I could expect a couple picks a game, even in the early weeks.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I always got at least 100 sacks with LT. Sometimes way more than that.

The Cardinals always had good running backs and Ken Harvey on defense. The Lions run and shoot was awesome with so much speed, and Barry Sanders and Mel Grey running the ball, and the 49ers were juggernauts.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I hated playing the Cards with all of their damn running plays-the formations were all the same. Plus, Johnny Johnson was a sneaky good back.

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Raiders were unstoppable. Bo Jackson was a destroyer.

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

The Bo Jackson-Marcus Allen backfield was the best ever. Bo was THE Techmo legend.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

LT was also the best guy for blocking field goals and extra points. Just cheat him down the line and at the snap burst through between the guard and centre. Worked every time.

Once took the Bucs to an undefeated regular seaosn but Vinnie was overwhelmed in the playoffs by Reggie White and the Eagles.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Indeed. But if you played as a team with a really fast defender (i.e. LT) you could slow the running attack. And Schroeder was certainly a serviceable qb, but not a great one.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I've long maintained that LT was the most important player on Tecmo, even more than the Bo legend and the great, leaping receivers like Jerry Rice. Because if he was in that mode, he could shut down an entire offense. Which was key if you were playing another person.

I loathed the Cardinals: Timm Rosenbach still haunts me.

Favorite team to play with was unquestionably the Oilers. Getting 1,000, 1,500 yards with four different receivers (Duncan, Drew Hill, Jefferies, and...who was the fourth???), plus Lorenzo White. They were pretty much unstoppable.

Also liked the Bengals: Boomer, Brooks, Icky, David Fulcher, but their receivers, while solid, were extremely slow.

Best Tecmo memory: Me and two friends spending a 24-hour span playing a season. I had the Packers, a buddy had the Cardinals, and another the Pats. I dominated the regular season, while the Pats struggled to make the playoffs. In the playoffs, the guy with the Cardinals lost to the Giants when L.T. blocked a field goal on the last play of the game, scooped it up and went in for a TD to break a tie. My friend was drunk and beliggerent when that happened, and wanted to officially protest. n the NFC title game, my undefeated season came to an end as LT simply dominated, getting four picks, two he returned for TDs! It was one of those games where the computer just decided I couldn't win.

Somehow the pats made it to the SUper Bowl, behind Marc Wilson, who took over for Grogan. In the Super Bowl, instead of being dominant, the frickin Giants were nothing. LT was nothing. It's like the computer was throwing the game. They picked the dumbest plays to run, and my buddy won the damn super bowl with the Pats. 14 years later, he still brags about it. We watched the roster come on the screen as the clock ticked past 4 a.m.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I always liked playing as the Lions. I'd move Barry Sanders out to receiver, alongside Mel Gray and their other studs, put the backup RB in (I think it was Johnny Bailey) and never miss a beat.

Like you, Small Town, me and a bunch of friends did the season thing one night in college. I picked the Cowboys, and by the time the regular season ended everyone was getting a little grumpy. I had Emmitt Smith on the brink of a 2,000-yard season and wanted to get that. Everyone else wanted to get on with their damned lives. I already had a playoff spot sewn up, so they convinced me to sim the game. I left Emmitt in to get the 2,000 yards, instead of playing him for a quarter and sitting it like I was going to do (I think he needed about 20 yards).
    Naturally, Emmitt took a trip to the hospital and was out for three weeks. I had no chance against the Giants in the playoffs.
    To this day, that still burns me up a little.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I played as the Bears. Mike Singletary and Neil Anderson single-handedly carried that team.

Also, I don't have the link right now, but you can download an updated version of TSB with last year's rosters.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Houston Oilers... no one could stop the wideouts...

12. statrat

statrat Member

Giants and the Raiders definitely. Anyone who actually threw the ball playing as the Raiders was just plain foolish. Just run your best impersonation of the double wing and give the ball to Bo all game long.

Best memory: Playing as the 49ers down 5 with two seconds on the clock at my own 10 I rolled Montana into the endzone and then proceeded to throw the ball 109-yards to a triple covered Jerry Rice for the game winning TD. My friend ripped his controller out of the NES and tried to punch me.

Draft saved Draft deleted