1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Hated More By Their Final Start, Brett Favre or Ray Lewis?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Feb 7, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I find it interesting how a bootlicking media turned on both of them at the last minute. Why?
    And, consistent with when you are at your lowest, when both of them needed the media's defense.
    Does anyone really think Favre would have retired if he weren't essentially chased out with a photo of his undersized weiner?
    Does anyone think Lewis's retirement wasn't calculated as he knew SI was on his tail?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Favre took the bigger fall no doubt. I don't know if Lewis was ever beloved - respected yeah - but he never attained the active icon status of a Gretzky, Jeter or Jordan.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Favre had the much bigger fall... If he had stayed retired after the 2007 season, he would have gone out at pretty close to the top. Another bad interception in a playoff game that the Packers should have won, but he still was SI's Sportsman of the Year and finished second or third in MVP voting. It would not have been a bad final season on any level...

Lewis went out on top.

Favre hurt his legacy by playing too long. Lewis did not.

People were sick of Favre for a couple years by the time he finally retired for good. I think people were only truly oversaturated with Ray Lewis during the playoff run.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Favre, by far. The endless retirement waffling and his disingenuous manner first caused people to lose trust in him and then eventually grow completely tired of him.

Lewis, in contrast, actually had a remarkable reputation resurrection from the Atlanta murder. Had essentially made that disappear from how he was perceived--all except for a blip during Super Bowl week, that similar to the steriods issue, looked to be a much bigger issue to the media than to the general public.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

People forget that with Favre, the first time he threatened to retire was after the 2001 season.

Mortenson actually reported after the Packers lost to the Falcons in the 2002 playoffs that Favre was retiring. Considering how tight Mort is with Favre's agent, it's probably a safe bet where he got that info. Depending on who you believe, they talked him out of it very quickly.

This was a game Favre was playing years and years before he actually retired the first time and he did it to fuck with people.

What's funny is that him doing that is the biggest reason why the Packers are still an elite team, because if they Packers had known that Favre was going to play through even the 2007 season, they probably would not have drafted Rodgers in 2005.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Were people more sick of Favre or more sick of the way ESPN blew him on a daily basis?

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Favre, not even close.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

People love Ray Lewis. Which is another reason I hate him.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Lewis ascended to Heaven through the Superdome roof at the Lombardi Trophy presentation.

Favre descended to Mississippi after he zipped his fly.

The bootlicking of Lewis will continue as long as he remains under contract with ESPN.

10. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

this thread title assumes favre has indeed made his final start

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Favre needs to develop a murder dance to win back the fans.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes, 2002 and the Favre crap.

I can still hear the voice from my boss ten years ago, waking me up: "Ex, we are flying you to Jackson in case Favre retires. You're leaving in two hours. Get packed."

I knew Favre wasn't going to retire that day. He just loved screwing with people because he could.

I've hated Favre ever since.

Draft saved Draft deleted