1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 14, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The current scandal with the Astros isn't even in the same realm as the Black Sox. Cheating to win isn't even close to players conspiring to throw a World Series. What is more important in sports than the idea that both teams are trying to win?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Coke shmoke lol.

And you have a good point about steroids ... so there are 4 major scandals since 1919.

And oop, please, throwing a World Series and cheating to WIN a World Series are the same fucking thing.

3. outofplace

This is why I think the reaction to the Astros is so ridiculous. I posted about this elsewhere. Yankee fans have been crying a river since this all came out, but they conveniently forget the role steroid use played in their run from the mid-90s through their most recent championship in 2009. That team went to the playoffs 17 out of 18 seasons, winning five World Series along the way, and steroids were a part of it. So was a system that guarantees a playing field that isn't level. That 2009 World Series is one of the more blatant examples of a team buying a World Series in my lifetime. They also had two admitted steroid users, Rodriguez and Pettitte.

Edit: Fixed my error, as pointed out by CD.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

five, but still.

5. outofplace

No, they really aren't. There is a reason Landis banned those players. Throwing a World Series is far more damaging to the integrity of the game. Baseball has been tolerating cheating forever. They've done it with spitballs, stolen signs, corked bats, amphetamines and steroids. Hell, Gaylord Perry is in the Hall of Fame and everybody knew he was cheating for most of his career. That's just one example.

One thing fans have to have is a belief that both teams are trying to win. Better they try too hard than actively try to lose.

6. outofplace

My bad. I believe it was played in seven and won five. Darn me rushing through a post, but as still.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Walter Payton or Sanders?

Let's see how deep this Sanders love goes.

8. outofplace

Payton for a number of reasons. He was a more complete player and he didn't take drive-killing losses on a consistent basis the way Sanders did. He also put up amazing numbers while playing much of his career on weak teams and almost all of it without a quarterback.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

Still Sanders for me. He led the league in rushing 4 times to Payton "only" leading once. They both led once in TDs. Sanders averaged much better per carry (5.0 to 4.4) and he fumbled way less. Sweetness had 86 fumbles. Players in the 70s were just loose with their balls. hey now.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"What if I told you that Ditka purposely kept Payton out of the end zone in the Super Bowl?" #30for30

11. CD Boogie

Ya got a stat to back that up?

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Payton because he could play QB if needed.

He is just the more versatile player.

Draft saved Draft deleted