1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 14, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You can't say it any better than that.

For all his greatness, Greg Maddux came up pretty small in the postseason over his career.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maddux had a 3.27 ERA for his career in the playoffs, 2.09 in five World Series starts. He wasn't nearly as bad as people made him out to be in the postseason.

Ryan pitched exactly once in a World Series, coming on in relief to save a game for the '69 Mets.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Better comp: Nolan Ryan and Dan Marino.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I guess Maddux gets a tough comparison because when you are that great, you expect Koufax or Gibson in the WS, when that comparison really is unfair.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bill Russell or LeBron James?

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Incomparable. Two different positions, two different eras, two different games, really.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

As a player, James. James just never had the teams built perfectly around him like Russell had.

Now, did James fuckery have a hand in that? Maybe.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't know how to mine the stats for this, but I watched Ryan for a long time and it always seemed to me that he lost more one run games than any other pitcher I could think of. I loved them both, but if I had to choose I'd have to take Maddux.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

LeBron or Jordan? I’d take LeBron, who I think is the GOAT. And I saw all of Jordan’s career going back to his freshman year at UNC.

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Ken Griffey Jr. or Stan Musial? The connection? Both from tiny as hell Donora, Pa.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I’d take Musial, who is a pantheon level Hall of Famer who is still somehow overlooked. His hitting stats are just ridiculous. Ruth, Mayes, Aaron, Wagner, Cobb, Williams and Musial are, to me, the greatest of all time. Everyone else is below their level.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Musial was amazing. I still can't figure out how he hit so well out of that twisted up stance with his hands back behind him... but he damn sure did.

upload_2020-2-17_20-58-44.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted