1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 14, 2020.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

STP had 8 No. 1’s? That’s surprising. Both equally good. I’m going to see GNR and Smashing Pumpkins on July 18 at Meadowlands. Never seen either so very excited.

2. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

I have a feeling that, since this is a forum full of sports journalists, most of us are going to say GNR because we have heard their output - particularly those two songs - on so many PA systems.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No no no no no.

STP had eight number ones... on something called the "Mainstream Rock" chart. The all-time champ for most songs to hit number one on the "Mainstream Rock" chart? Shinedown.

Guns n Roses had 13 songs on the Billboard Hot 100, including one number one ("Sweet Child o' Mine"). Five songs were top 10.

STP? One song in the Hot 100. "Sour Girl." Topped out at number 78.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't get mad, 'tuan.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not to mention the "Mainstream Rock" chart is still part of Billboard.

lol STP for the win.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

B8D5A7E7-3E09-4407-B43C-D712E315CDFE.png
    I find it hard to believe that Plush was never in the Top 100. That song was on constantly on MTV in the summer of 1993.

I see where you found Sour Girl. But what of these rankings? Aren’t they legit?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Sour Girl" and "Interstate Love Song" were good tunes.

But every song on "Appetite for Destruction" was better than them.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Billboard has eight billion charts.

The one people actually cite -- the gold standard for music charts -- is the Billboard Hot 100. The others are for extremely narrow criteria. (Wasn't kidding -- the biggest band of all time on the "Mainstream Rock" chart is Shinedown.)

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you told me STP only had one Top 100 song "Sour Girl" would have been about my seventh guess on which one it was.
    Plush, Interstate Love Song and even Big Empty were all pretty big songs for them. I can't believe none of them cracked the Top 100, especially considering they're viewed as a very memorable band from that era.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Meh. I get the idea ... but I honestly can't get fired up over either of them.

Always thought Guns 'N Roses was overrated, and STP was OK, though nothing special and not strong enough to sustain.

Listen to Marvin's "What's Going On" album once, and get back to me ... and remember that Berry Gordy almost didn't release it.
    Al Green was good, but this isn't even close.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Cal Ripken or Eddie Murray?

Draft saved Draft deleted