1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The thread title is self-explanatory. We'll start with music.

Who was better, Stone Temple Pilots or Guns 'n' Roses?

Some of GNR's songs are all-timers ... but I'm going to say STP is better on the whole.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

GNR. It's not even close. STP was at best a top-10 grunge band.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I liked STP but this is GnR by a country mile.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Between Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child of Mine? Those are all timers.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

GNR's trilogy of November Rain, Don't Cry and Estranged were better than anything STP ever did, and that's not even including the rest of Use Your Illusion I and II and all of Appetite for Destruction.

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I like STP, but the brilliance of G-n-R is undeniable. Maybe it comes down to the sum of their parts: Izzy Stradlin, Slash...

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Marvin Gaye or Al Green??

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Equals as singers, Green may even have the better voice, but I'd give Gaye the slight edge as an artist, What's Going On remains an important album.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Songbird

I can go either way on STP or GnR.

On one hand, GnR sold 100 million records and was the first band from the '80s (Sweet Child o' Mine) and '90s (November Rain) to surprise 1 billion views in YouTube views for those videos. But they had only one No. 1 song.

On the other hand, STP sold just 40 million records but had 16 top 10 songs and 8 at No. 1. And Weiland was a better druggie than anyone in GnR.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. It would have to come down to personal preferences. Gaye's greatness was in his musical talent and his ability to give voice to what was on his mind in a way that wiggled into your own heart and mind. Al Green live will always leave Al Green in the studio in the dust. I've seen him before and after he took the pulpit as his creative home.

11. Songbird

Nolan Ryan or Greg Maddux?

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought same thing recently when I listened to it; sad 50 years later

Draft saved Draft deleted