1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who wants to play golf?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I like to start out the season on my local muni before I play anywhere else. I'm hoping to get out sometime this week. I can play for practically nothing there.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Looks like we got ourselves a natural disaster.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You sonuvabitch! What in the nine blue hells did you do to our ballfield?

4. Got my first taste of golf for the year on Sunday at the driving range. I hit the ball like I've never played before.

Monday went out for a round with some friends and shot 83. I needed to par the last two holes to shoot 79 (I've never broken 80 before). I triple bogeyed 17 and bogeyed 18. Not a terrible way to start the year, especially since this is the first year I'll be playing in a league full-time.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I bought my season pass to the local muni today. Hoping I hit can the links tomorrow, weather permitting.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Played my first round over the weekend with my buddies. We've never had so many "gentlemen's eights" on one card. I'm thrilled to see my game didn't change one bit after a layoff -- terrific off the tee, toxic waste from 100 yards in.

Could I fix that with practice? Well, yeah. But when I somehow wrangle my work schedule and family duties enough to get five hours open, I'm always going to play instead of beat buckets of balls. I'm a moderate hack and proud of it.

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

For my birthday in February, I was given money specifically to improve my set.

The head of my 3W snapped off over the summer, so that was a given. I've also never had a sand wedge, so I thought that might be a good pickup too.

I went hunting for the SW and found a great Cleveland model sitting by itself on a rack. Felt great, looked good, everything. I thought the price tag was a mistake - $40. No mistake, I was told. An extra club somehow - we just want to get rid of it. Sweet!

I saved enough money to get a Big Bertha 3W - spent less than I expected on that - which allowed me to get a Cleveland 3I hybrid, which also felt the best to me.

So yeah, I'm excited to get out there too.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Kinda want to get into it (haven't played an actual round since early high school), but still snowing a little here at night and it's only around 45 during the day.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I've played once since November -- in Maui. Shot 98, despite hitting 10 fairways and putting fairly well on some difficult greens. Everything in between was an abomination.

Translation: I can't hit greens in reg if my life depended on it.

Our bosses bought me and three of my cohorts a foursome in a charity tournament in Pasadena coming up in two weeks. We were invited to it by a former co-worker who retired. This could be interesting, because my game the last year-plus has been the definition of manic-depressive and I have no idea what I'm going to find.

And Hustle, I need a 3-wood as well. I want one of those Callaway square ones that just came out. I have the FT-i square driver and once you get over the car-crash sound it makes when you hit one flush, it's a damn good driver.

10. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

"Me and my 17 handicap aren't good enough to throw clubs."

An honest golfer! Whoda thunk it?

Making a Midwest pass this year, Birdie?

11. joe

joe Active Member

It was a crappy starter-set 7-iron. I went and bought a nice Cobra one, and now I have the full set of Cobra irons.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

When I was first starting to play golf around age 14, one summer day, I sneak into Dad's golf bag, and I see these new Tour Balata Golf Balls. So, I take the whole box (dozen) thinking he's not going to notice.

So, me and some friends go out to the local course, and I start hitting these things, but each one would only last about 4 or 5 shots before it had a nice gash in it.

So, I go through a whole damn box, and I tell Dad that those balata golf balls sucked something awful.

He was laughing and fuming at the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted