1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who should get the Eddie Robinson Award?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 28, 2006.

?

Who's your pick for Coach of the Year?

1. Art Briles, Houston

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lloyd Carr, Michigan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Jim Grobe, Wake Forest

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. June Jones, Hawaii

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bronco Mendenhall, BYU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Houston Nutt, Arkansas

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. Chris Petersen, Boise State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Greg Schiano, Rutgers

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  9. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Headbutt, maybe you're right in that it's close. But Schiano didn't lose his starting QB and primary RB. Grobe did - on a team not dripping with talent - and still got 10 wins. I don't have to tell you that someone could be cashing in odds to buy half the little islands in the South Pacific on preseason odds for Wake Forest.

Someone was trying to convince me that Wake Forest had all that experience coming into this season. True, but do you think anyone in Miami or Tallahassee or Blacksburg was envious of those returning starters? I mean, only Duke was supposed to break Wake's fall going into the season. Whoops ... Wake's success is a big, big reason all the critics of the ACC think the league is total crap in football this year. You know, those who think if the top teams aren't from Miami, Tallahassee and Blacksburg that something is clearly wrong.

Schiano had Rice, and most of us knew he was pretty good going into the season. Wake doesn't even have a Rice-type player.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well, this will support your argument. I only vaguely remember the problems Wake had that you mentioned. Because the entire season no one gave them as much respect as they had seemingly deserved because they're Wake. Damn it, why did you have to make me go and re-consider everything?

3. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

My thoughts exactly. #1 Schiano, #1a Grobe, #3 Stoops. Take away the biggest officiating screw job since the fifth down and Oklahoma is in serious contention for the BCS title game. That's amazing to me given what they lost this season.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thank you, Jason... we do cherish Sunday's and your AP poll... ;)

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jim Grobe.

Rutgers was building. The Scarlet Knights had momentum from the winning season and bowl bid a year ago and they were poised to make a big step forward.

Wake Forest was 4-7 last year, was picked to finish dead last in its division and lost its top tailback, quarterback and a couple of offensive and defensive linemen to injury. To get that group to 10 wins is nothing short of amazing. I watched Wake play once this year live. They don't have a lot of talent, just a bunch of gritty, blue-collar guys who embody their coach in work ethic and class.

I'm not trying to denigrate what Schiano has done. He's done a marvelous job of turning Rutgers around. But I'd give my vote to Jim Grobe this season.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

And if Rutgers and Wake both win Saturday, Grobe and Schiano will be seeing each other Jan. 2 in the Orange Bowl.

7. Grobe for me.
    And then Petersen, because you're going to look very smart when Boise cracks some high-profile program's noggin in a bowl game.

8. stevenash

stevenash Member

Schiano

9. stevenash

stevenash Member

Schiano

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If Nebraska wins the Big 12 championship game I can see Boise beating the Huskers in the Fiesta Bowl.

If Oklahoma wins the Big 12 championship game the Smurf-turfers are in trouble.

Draft saved Draft deleted