1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who says Greg Oden isn't ready for the NBA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Apr 2, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

There's simply no reason for Oden to say, unless he loves the college lifestyle and atmosphere and doesn't want to leave. Anything else can be seen as a reason to leave:

You say he lacks "fire": I say go pro before people really start to believe you don't care and it hurts your draft stock.
    You say he's not ready: I say go pro and get professional coaching, without having to bother with things like schoolwork.
    You say he's not good enough: I say go pro because you'll be the No. 1 or No. 2 pick. How much higher can you go than that? Another year can only hurt your draft status.

Another year at OSU can do NOTHING but hurt his draft status and chances for NBA success/greatness. What, exactly, can OSU offer that the pro team drafting him can't?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oden looks older than his mother. If he doesn't go out now, he won't be eligible for a pension when he retires in a couple years.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Oden on Final Four trip: "I haven't been this happy in 30 years."

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

:D

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

(Stolen from The Onion)

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Is any of that a reason to stay at Ohio State for another year? Or are you arguing that he should skip the NBA entirely and join the Peace Corps?

Unless he just loves the college lifestyle the way Leinart did he'd be foolish not to turn pro now. He'll become a better player faster and he'll make money in the process. Utopian dreams aside, being paid for your effort is generally preferable to not being paid for your effort.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Maybe Alma forgot the purpose of a wallet.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

"It made me feel like a teenager again."

9. boots

boots New Member

I say he should stay another year. Unfortunately, the money will be too hard to ignore. I don't think he's ready to be an immediate impact player in the NBA.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So he'll be better prepared to be an impact player by staying in college, as opposed to learning on the job? I disagree.

11. boots

boots New Member

I really can't put my finger on it. Maybe its his stoic appearance. Maybe it's because he doesn't get up and down the court quickly enough for me. Maybe its because I see flashes of what he can become. I just don't want to see a talent like that become a Tom Burleson type of player in the show.
    That's what he would be, in my opinion, if he came out now.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Boots, did you watch the game last night? Oden beat Horford, Noah and whoever else covered him up and down the floor the entire night. Hell, he beat some small forwards up the court. Do you want him running like Conley?
    Oden proved last night that college isn't going to do anything for him. If he plays next year and Matta gives him the ball, he's going to get 25 minimum per game. No one in college can cover him. No one. Too strong, too big.

Draft saved Draft deleted