1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who says Greg Oden isn't ready for the NBA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

He looks incredible tonight against the best frontline in the country.

He will have more of an immediate impact in the NBA than i previously thought.

Packer made a great point ... college hoops should have six fouls.

You know Memphis is PRAYING Oden declares.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Why should college hoops have six fouls? Five in 40 minutes is plenty.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Posted it on the other thread.
    The guy is fantastic.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Exactly.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

5 fouls in 40 = 6 fouls in 48

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Oden in as ready as a college big man has been in years. He is physically dominant. He is a beast. This should not be questioned.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But this is the first game where he's really put it all together. I think that's the point others had been making.

If he'd played like this a couple of other times during the season, there would be no debate at this point.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He's not as polished offensively as advertised. But when has that stopped an NBA scout from going after talent? In his defense, Oden looks more ready than a few of the teenage stiffs that never amounted to much in the NBA.

9. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Shaq wasn't polished coming into the NBA. Neither was David Robinson. The only big guy that was truly ready was Tim Duncan.

Oden didn't put it together against Xavier and Tenn and those teams because he was playing smurfs. Against guys his size, he's looked great in the FF. Well, when the refs haven't blown the whistle.

Corey Brewer's the man, though.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

What Packer actually said was why should there be a limit on fouls, and that maybe after a player gets over a certain number, the player fouled gets an extra shot.

I usually never admit to agreeing with Billy Packer, so I will say he is agreeing with what I have thought for about 15 or 20 years.

I think if a player has five fouls (or six in the NBA) they shouldn't be out of the game. What should happen is that the team fouled gets shots and gets the ball back. The ABA did this for a couple of years.

I don't think a ref should make a decision about getting a player out of the game because they can't play defense well. If somebody does something worthy of ejection, that is one thing. If the rule were changed, then coaches rather than referees should make the decision.

11. Hammer Pants

Good point, but I put a lot of the blame on his teammates not getting him the ball in the post. Nearly every time he does, it's a dunk. Why they go stretches without getting him the ball is amazing to me. Matta can take a huge part of that blame, too, maybe even more than the players.

Here is how most of the team huddles should go.

Matta: "Get the fucking ball to Oden every time. Make sure he touches it every possession."
    Team: "Yes sir."

12. Hammer Pants

If you get it to Oden inside on nearly every possession, you HAVE to double-team him, or he will score. He probably will, any way. And if you double-team him, someone will be open. It's not complicated.

Draft saved Draft deleted