1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who says girls can't play basketball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 20, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Exactly.. can't handle the legal screen? play volleyball.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Agreed. No foul.
    The commentator made it sound a lot worse than it was.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

My daughter scored 20 points in a 6th and 7th grade basketball tournament game yesterday... ;D

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

you are wrong, junkie. She braced herself for impact, she didn't initiate contact. Sometimes good, legal screens result in basketball players hitting the floor and/or getting hurt.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, OK.

::)

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You're still wrong, Junkie.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Okay, fine, we get it, women = hard-workers, men = pussies.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Most refs would call the foul on the basis of the fact the screener brought her forearms up and leaned into the collision Jerry Kramer style. While she did have her feet set, it was only for a fraction of a second, and I've had some refs tell me the screener "has to give the defensive player at least one full step" to avoid a collision.

All that said, it was a hell of a screen. In my youth coaching days, it was amazing what a couple of bone-jarring screens can do to the opponent. They start tiptoeing up court on every possession, looking for the next telephone pole they're about to run into.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

That's what I call good defense.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And I've seen men set good picks too. It's not THAT uncommon.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Good, hard pick. Who the ____ is the pussy announcer?

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Junkie there's no way you watch much college basketball if you don't think the men's game is physical. Maybe they don't set as many screens as they should, but I can't believe anybody could watch a major college men's game and not think it was a contact sport.

Maybe the reason you don't see that happen in a men's game very often, is because how often do they set screens in the backcourt. Most of it goes on in the lane. But it does happen in men's basketball too, ask Bobby Hurley if Chris Webber sets a solid screen.

Draft saved Draft deleted