1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who ordered the execution of Pat Tillman?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jul 15, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Bob Ley did an Outside the Lines on this with members of Tillman's platoon, or whatever it would be called.

It paints a completely different picture of this.

What happened from what I remember from the OTL program.

U.S. troops were driving through a canyon basically. When they got to the end they were being ambushed by Afghani soldiers, infidels, or some other sort of enemy. The convey started shooting back at targets at the top of the canyon. Apparently, Tillman and some other U.S. soldiers were up there and Tillman was shot.

I also remember hearing that Tillman may have been shot while protecting a younger soldier. I remember it being a 19-year-old or something.

Is it possible he was shot a few times from friendly fire and was lying their dying? I think it is.

And is it possible that one of his fellow army members realized this and shot him in the head? That's the only logical explanation I can see. There would be no reason for the U.S. Army to kill this guy. He's a football star who quits his day job to support his country. As someone said earlier its huge pr move.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not to mention the fact that, if "they" really did want to silence him, it would have been much easier for "the government" to spin this if they made the guy disappear while he was in Afghanistan instead of shooting him and not disposing of the body.

The whole line of thinking that he was bumped off in some massive "government" hit is beyond idiotic.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Anyone know why the Krakauer book on Tillman has been delayed?

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The righty groups need time to crank up their "Into Thin Air" book-burning parties.

5. That, and they were lied to by the government over and over again about their son's death. They have every reason to be pissed off.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The only way that I think the government had a role in some kind of 'hit' on Tillman would have been if someone thought the government would get better PR from his death rather than his service.

Still, that doesn't explain why they wouldn't have just sent Tillman into an ambush or something by himself.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

you mean the first year of that abortion wasn't enough?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

War is pretty freakin' chaotic as it is, so I doubt if the Army was going to whack Tillman it would have been like this. That said, nobody does crap in the Army without being ordered to, or at least being given permission to do something. The burning of his clothes and journals is what I find highly suspect.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The Jersey Girls didn't deserve what Ann Coulter said about them and Cindy Sheehan didn't deserve the crap she's taking.

10. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

So because this guy was going to speak against the war, they were afraid? That's a stupid theory. Tillman's argument would have made no larger impact than any of the other GIs who come back with anti-war rhetoric.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's what I want to believe too but, damn, the ballistics evidence is incredibly suspicious. Three shots to nearly the exact same spot in the forehead from very close distance, everything about that says intentional execution, not friendly fire. And the way the Army handled it only adds to the suspicion.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I would invite anyone to theorize how a person could be accidentally shot three times in the head at point black range, after he was already shot in the chest.

I don't believe there was a high-level plot to assassinate Tillman, but I do believe it was a deliberate act by at least one of his fellow soldiers. It's called fragging.

Draft saved Draft deleted