1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who ordered the execution of Pat Tillman?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This probably was actually first posted around the time ESPN had that thorough story about the killing, which I think answered a lot of the questions about how the killing itself happened.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

And those answers were?

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Here's an AP story that was recently posted: (13 hours ago)

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5har2x3C1pHAtchMse1gTn6lSOyNQD91U13C00

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Whether or not someone ordered him killed, the U.S. Government did something almost as bad in how they used his death to feed their martyrdom PR machine.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

You'll have to read the 30,000 words yourself. Actually, I forget what all the theories were. A big part of it was just general fuckup by the rangers that night, but I think there were a lot of unanswered questions as well. Which I realize totally contradicts my earlier posting. I do remember the story raising the issue of whether he should have gotten the Silver Star and it seemed he probably shouldn't have. It's a multi-part story. Will have to revisit it myself.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=tillmanpart1

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My assumption all along has been that the other members of the platoon had simply had enough of Pat Tillman. Every new thing that comes out reinforces that belief.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I agree. I think he was fragged.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, that is not even close to being as bad as having the guy killed would be. Relax just a bit on the hyperbole there.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, no shit...

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The blog was only a recap and was posted again after Monday's committee meeting.
    My apologies for the confusion.
    And again, friendly fire means he got shot on accident, which might have well happened. At leas the first time. But friendly fire does not explain three gunshot wounds to the forehead from close range.

And on a side note, I think Spinning must have been one of those guys sent to Gitmo by mistake. That's the only thing that can explain the rage.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It does if they didn't know who they were shooting at.

12. I'm not surprised. Tillman's family isn't bat-shit crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted