1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who needs soccer, anyway? Cricket's coming Stateside!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Jan 21, 2010.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think there is a T20 World Cup, and then the longer-established World Cup, which is 50 overs a side, first played in 1975.

2. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

Maybe that's what it was. I know it wasn't test matches.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Even look at a cricket box score? Nuclear physics is easier to understand.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's actually what got me hooked on the sport. They had some reports from the World Cup a few years ago and the box scores ran over the wire for some reason. I was intrigued and confused, so started looking it up online and learning how to read them. The more I learned, the more I liked.

They aren't any more complicated than baseball box scores, really.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Headed to Cape Town tomorrow. Last time I was there three years ago, my brother in law took me to a day of test action (Jacques Kallis!) but I was puking and other things from not dealing well with the South African food and didn't really enjoy the experience. Hoping to return this year to a match. If not, it's on TV 23 hours a day so I'm sure I'll be watching it a lot with the in-laws. By the end of my stay, I had started to figure out the basics, through osmosis. But it was still quite confusing.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You just missed the England tour of South Africa, which wasn't going all that well for South Africa until they routed the English in the final test.

Checking the calendar, South Africa start a tour of India on Feb. 6.

And yeah, once you know what's going on in a cricket box score, it's really not any more difficult than deciphering any other box score. At its most basic, it's just each batsman, how he was dismissed and his total, and how each bowler fared. No more complex than the batting and hitting sections of a baseball box.

Draft saved Draft deleted