1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who needs soccer, anyway? Cricket's coming Stateside!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Jan 21, 2010.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolpda/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_8470000/8470796.stm?

Twenty20 is basically the home-run derby of cricket, and is as far from the stereotypical days-long, all-whites affair as can be. Games also typically last about three hours.

With all that said, this can't possibly work. Or can it?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's enough ex-pats to make some money, but it's not going to crack the U.S. fandom.

And it's a shame that they insist on trying it with 20-20. Five-day test cricket is much more fascinating. T20 is, as you said, a home-run derby.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

<crickets>

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Damn you!

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And as a home run derby, it has a far better chance of succeeding here.

People here always say they want high scoring and a lot of action. This fulfills both of those requirements easily.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course, stick the games in the right places and you don't need a single white American to show up. It's not as though there aren't any Indians, Pakistanis, West Indians or, of course, Brits in the U.S.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm right in thinking the sport is particularly strong in the northeast thanks to the large Indian, Pakistani and West Indian communities there, right? I mean, they've played one-day games before at the Skydome in Toronto.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ready to see some wicked googlies.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think this is a silly mid-on idea.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Anything to promote tea consumption, I say.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This is a silly point. :D

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Ain't nobody drinkin' tea at Twenty20. Or multi-day matches for that matter. For varying reasons, both require beer.

In fact, it was at a Twenty20 match that I saw something I can't believe hasn't caught on in the U.S., or maybe it has and I just haven't seen it. Beer vendors walking around with little portable beer coolers on their backs, complete with taps to dispense with.

Draft saved Draft deleted