1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who needs copy editors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNIDude, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The plural of RBI is RBI. They are not Run Batted Ins.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Leaving the thread and never coming back. Life's too short.

3. Lanky

Lanky New Member

You sure told all the SOB who think otherwise.

Setting aside the eternal stylistic debate, MightyMouse, that's pretty fucked up but not surprising.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Incorrect.

You're pluralizing the acronym. Example: What's the plural of POW? POWs. Yes, it's "Prisoners of War," but, again, you're pluralizing the acronym. One RBI; multiple RBIs.

And that's all I'm saying about that.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Neither RBI nor RBIs is incorrect as a plural. It's also not incorrect to use the serial comma. Every paper has its own style. Most follow The Associated Press Style Book, which uses RBIs. It's entirely a matter of style and consistency. I have a preference, sure. (I'm a copy editor; we all have preferences on these matters.) But I've been at places that use both styles.

The ass-hat writer on MightyMouse's staff is clearly defying his newspaper's style. Worse, he appears to know he is defying his newspaper's style. He is incorrect and obnoxious and should try getting a job at one of the few newspapers that use RBI as a plural.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As a fellow copy desker, I get this a lot, too.

A couple examples: Members of the city council are not "city councilors," and if we know the gender of the person speaking on behalf of an organization, don't use "spokesperson."

And for the record: we go with RBIs.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know what's worse -- a writer shrugging off mistakes because it's the desk's job to fix them, or a copy editor who edits mistakes into a story.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Huh?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought you were leaving this thread, damn you!

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, this is from a state newspaper on the current happenings at Virginia Tech. I know, given the magnitude of the story, big flippin' deal - but with an incident like this, you are going to get more traffic. So get it right??

Desmarais was stunned, called the news “shocking,” while Dallman was upset that such an event took place on Reading Day, which would otherwise be a quiet, routine segway into the holidays.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We're RBI/RBI, but I agree that as long as your site/paper gets it the same every time, that's what you're after.

I can buy RBIs as a plural entity -- but that's not our style.

As to MightyMouse's writer, I'm a Polyanna generally, but we'd be having a serious talk headed for some kind of action. Seriously.

Saying, "I like my way better"?

Uh-uh.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's ludacris. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted