1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who needs copy editors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNIDude, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You might've won a Pulitzer for commentary if you'd let it go.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's very likely a copy editor typed the f word into that story.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yeah, it looks to me like this was on purpose. I heard it happened in a Gannett regional editing center. Anybody have the 411 on that?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No. Alleged is a weasel-word when a reporter is lazy and doesn't specify who is making accusations or the legal status of a case.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In Louisville, apparently. Fantastic.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Would have been even better if it said, "Fuck you Gannett" or "Fuck you Craig Dubow".

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Um, what kind of copy editor do you expect to get for $10K a year? Just asking?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You don't need as many copy editors as writers for a website.

The infuriating thing about Grantland's mistakes is that three or four good copy editors could eliminate so many of them.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, I wasn't suggesting paying copy editors $10,000 (although I am ancient enough that my first copy editing salary was $9,680) -- rather that the writers' collective salary cuts, if they proved sloppier than expected, would combine to finance the hiring of more copy editors. I suppose the fact I was apparently unclear to some people is proof that everyone needs editing, including me.

Nevertheless, on a small startup, I would elect to spend the money on the most (and best) writers I could get rather than a slew of people people to fix their crap. In a perfect world, I would have plenty of both, but in an imperfect world I would staff much more heavily on the gathering and writing of the content. I have worked with a bunch of people who needed minimal editing, which is not to say they never needed editing, just that they seldom needed heavy editing. And I've worked with a bunch of people who turned in very sloppy copy because they had little incentive to clean it up since the desk did it for them -- newspapers, especially big ones, have been ridiculously lenient on that far too often. Often the situation exists only because newspaper management has allowed it to continue.

10. Raiders

Raiders Guest

My paper is tremendously guilty of this. A very unhealthy situation, and not just on the printed page.

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

This is part of a conversation I had some time ago. I'm pretty sure it took at least a couple of years off my life ...

Me: You used RBI as plural all throughout your story.
    Writer: Yes.
    Me: That's incorrect. The plural of RBI is RBIs.
    Writer: I know. I like my way better.
    Me: So, you knew it was wrong and did it anyway?
    Writer: So the copy desk fixes it. That's their job. What's the big deal?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, the plural of RBI is RBI. 8) [/ohnoesnotthisshitagain]

Draft saved Draft deleted