1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who needs a main course when there's all-you-can appetizers ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 7, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

my neice works as a bartender at one of these good-time-food-emporiums... I could not believe all the desert-like drinks people consume at these places.

2. poindexter

"Bottomless Pot Stickers... and a glass of water, please!"

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Not having read every story about it, but I suspect that TGI Friday's gets a lot of people at the bar who drink but maaaaybe split an appetizer with their friends. This will a) prompt them to buy an appetizer, since who doesn't like free refills, and b) have them stick around longer, during which time they'll purchase more drinks.

There will certainly be those who game the system by eating four refills of appetizer with a glass of water, but they'll likely be counteracted and then some by the 3-drink guest who turns into an appetizer-and-6-drink guy.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's alaways amazing to me how boring, predictable and usually overpriced the appetizers are at most restaurants.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Definitely. But at most restaurants - let's say the TGIF level, since that's what the thread is on - if they changed up their apps at all, and especially if they went with cutting-edge, outside the box apps, their customers would revolt.

They know when they go to a TGIF, they can get the same cheesy potato-bacon bombs they've been eating there for the last 20 years, and if TGIF is going to change the menu so they can't get those cheesy potato bacon-bombs, they'll by God find a different restaurant.

I agree the restaurants need to push the boundries a little bit, but with the mindless cattle who herd in there twice a week, rain or shine, and belly up to the same trough of food every time, it's a risk to make changes. Most of the criticism for the state of American mid-level restaurants belongs with the customers.

6. poindexter

Have you seen how fat most Americans are?

They want calories in bulk. Not anything else.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So a perfect appetizer would be dipping your finger into sugar-coated lard?

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's not as if they're eating calories for calories' sake. They are addicted to rich taste. Cheese. Bacon. Beef. Cream. Often simultaneously.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Granted, but look -- cream cheese filled, bacon-wrapped beef would be at least a more interesting offering than chicken tenders, nachos and frozen pot stickers.

(Confession: I thought this thread head was euphemism and not literally about appetizers.)

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

No, TGIF shouldn't take cheesy-bacon potato bombs off the menu, but it wouldn't hurt to try offering something different alongside it.

I remember in one restaurant my family would go to when I was younger (locally-owned restaurant, not a chain) and shrimp cocktail was an appetizer.

If TGIF added shrimp cocktail as an all-you-can-eat appetizer, I'd be all over that.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They're not giving ya AYCE shrimp for $10. Anywhere.

12. poindexter

Instead of their finger, I think they'd rather eat lard dipped into sugar-coated lard.

Draft saved Draft deleted