1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who needs a main course when there's all-you-can appetizers ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 7, 2014.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

TGIFriday's trying all-you-can eat appetizers this summer. Wonder how many people will skip the main course and just gorge on an appetizer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/07/07/tgi-fridays-casual-dining-restaurants-endless-appetizers/12211381/

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Gawker's Hamilton Nolan seems like a gigantic asshole, but the dude has a delightfully acid tongue.

http://gawker.com/endless-appetizers-mark-beginning-of-our-collective-n-1601076939

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd quibble with a couple of things in that piece: a pan-seared pot sticker does not equal a fried noodle pocket.

And the people they are trying to draw in with all-you-can-eat appetizers at a TGIF are people who know they are not going to a "good" restaurant. Loaded potato skins at a TGIF is not good food? No shit.

Seems he's determined to use a shotgun to kill a fly. And to prove he's the biggest asshole in whatever room he currently is in.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure TGIF has tried the 2-for-$20 meal deals and all the other menu juggling acts, now it's time for a good gluttony play. Probably will work for a while as people suck down overpriced frou-frou drinks with their mountain of mozzarella sticks. Then at some point they're remember how they feel six hours after eating a mountain of mozzarella sticks, and TGIF will go back to the drawing board.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Take a closer look, too. You get one appetizer. At $10 a pop, you'd better like your boneless buffalo wings.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I haven't darkened the door of a TGI Friday's in about 10 years, but at $10 it sounds like a good place to warm up for a night out.

The boneless wings do sound like the most substantial of the selections. I can polish off a couple of dozen, no problem.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'm in for the loaded skins. Gourmet night!

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Have you ever known anybody besides oop who would go to a TGI Friday's alone?

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

(Summertime drinking by the youth of America) + (This promotion) = Fun, fun, fun for the wait staff.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Is there anything more American than us taking the beloved tapas of Spain and replacing it with all-you-can-eat potato bacon bombers?

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Channeling my inner RickStain:

Would.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

10,000-calorie lunch of potato skins?

10,000-calorie lunch of potato skins.

Draft saved Draft deleted