1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who makes you want to work out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 2, 2008.

1. OK, so I'm watching "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" today, and suddenly Jessica Biel strips down to her underwear.

And I think, "I need to get my lazy ass up and off the treadmill. If that woman can look like THAT, surely I can work to shed 10 pounds or so."

Thing is, I am a married heterosexual male.

Thus I cannot decide if this is a really gay reaction - or an immensely straight one.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That Jessica Biel scene would make me gain six inches.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Who makes me want to work out?

Me.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fixed. :p

Come on ... you knew that was gonna happen.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I figure there are two things when it comes to how pretty you are. Looks and appearance. Looks are what you were born with, and there isn't much you can do with that, plastic surgery (never something I will do unless I have a disease or disfiguring accident), aside. And I know my limitations when it comes to looks... Not quite the elephant man, but nowhere near George Clooney...

Appearance is completely within my control. And I can stay fit and work on my body and fitness, and be clean and try to smell good, etc. I haven't always been perfectly fit, but I have always stayed in decent shape. The last 9 months to a year, I have been getting into the best shape of my life and it is really showing in my body (and my face, actually, because I look more chiseled). It started because I fell as badly out of shape as I have been in years sometime last year after I suffered a nasty concussion and could barely walk without feeling dizzy for a month. I used it as an excuse to pack on weight -- right around the time some people from this board were visiting NY and saw me. I may not have seemed horribly overweight to them, but for me, that was pretty bad.

I don't know what motivates me--especially now that I have turned into a fanatic. I'd say women do, to a large extent, even if I don't get with many of them. I still get a thrill out of a woman flirting with me, though.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Ragu, I've had kind of the opposite experience. I moved to DC last year in the worst shape of my life. I found out it didn't matter much, though, because the ratio of single women to men here was working in my favor. I had no motivation to work out because I was doing just fine with the gut I had. Now that I have a girlfriend who acknowledges my gut, however, I am trying to get rid of it.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

This might sound strange, but my newborn son makes me want to work out. I don't know why but ever since my wife was expecting I had this urge to get in the best shape I could. I'm still trying to figure out where that desire comes from. Is it because I want to be healthy and have a long life, or it spurred some early mid-life crisis or what? I can't explain it.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Never pass up a gimme, I always say.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Right now, my best friend makes me want to work out. I haven't seen the guy in 15 months, and I'll be his best man in his October wedding. I'd like to shed some pounds before then.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Myself and whoever urges me to push my boundaries in the gym when they spot me.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not strange at all. When I read the thread title, my daughter was the answer that popped into my head. Sure, I want to live a long and healthy life for myself. But I think most parents feel an obligation to do everything they can to ensure that they are around for their children as long as possible.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Plus, while I don't have kids and can't speak from experience, the better your level of fitness, the easier it is to keep up with the little rascals.

Draft saved Draft deleted