1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who killed John Lennon?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 20, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Get out the tin foil and shape yourself a big-ass hat, because here's a guy who says Lennon was killed by ...

... future horror best-seller Stephen King:

http://www.lennonmurdertruth.com/index.asp

2. HejiraHenry

Yep. But some on this board may want to buy into it.

The amazing thing is, I heard this Lightfoot guy on the radio the other day ... and it wasn't Coast to Coast.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

How the fuck did you find this? The epithet isn't meant for you; just used for exasperation.

4. HejiraHenry

Twirling the dial, this guy was on some morning radio show ... for a moment or two.

When I got to the office, it took about two seconds to Google him up.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I think this nutbag has been around for a while.
    Some left-wing nutcase also wrote a book with the theory that former President Ronald Reagan had a hand in Lennon's murder. The good thing is the more time people like that spend writing books, the less time they spend arguing with themselves on street corners.

6. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

If you're talking about "Who Killed John Lennon?" written by Fenton Bresler in the 1980s, your characterization of the author and of the premise of the book are awfully simplistic and misleading. Bresler, a lawyer and and author, is hardly a left-wing nutcase. He also didn't suggest Reagan, whose rise to national political prominence is a big part of the book, had a hand in Lennon's murder. Rather, he put forth a compelling case that the politically powerful behind Reagan had the means (CIA ops) and motive (eliminating the one person the FBI perceived and documented as capable of rallying the most people against Reagan) to pull off such a hit. Do I believe the book? I don't know, but he never said Reagan had a hand in it. I don't think he'd consider Reagan aware enough to have known if any of it had ever been contemplated.

I've heard this book dismissed and ridiculed, but always by people who never read it cover to cover and checked its impressive list of footnotes and sourcing.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've heard about Bresler's impressive footnotes and sourcing, but always from people who are trying to interject Bresler book into a discussion about Steve Lightfoot's book.

8. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I know what the subject of the thread is about. If you'll check tyler's post, the one immediately preceding mine, you'll see the reason for my "monologue."

9. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I wasn't the one who interjected a mention of another book into a discussion about Lightfoot's book. I was responding to the person who did. You and the other buck must not have noticed his post. But I'll let you guys get back to the topic.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Please don't let reason get in the way of the jokes.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

The next thread you start better be "Holy crap! Satellite radio! Where have you been all my life?"

Get satellite, eliminate shit like this.

12. HejiraHenry

Heh. I guess that's so.

The constructive purpose this sort of fellow serves, ai suppose, is to draw a bright line on the floor.

As long as you and I can stay on the other side of the line from him, it's all good.

Draft saved Draft deleted