1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is YOUR National Champion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 9, 2009.

?

Who is YOUR National Champion?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2009.
  1. Utah

51.8%
  2. Florida

32.5%
  3. Texas

6.0%
  4. USC

9.6%
  1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re-read what I wrote. I'd be surprised if they got half the support HERE at SportsJournalists.com, where everything from the NCAA tournament to no self-service gas pumps in New Jersey is created specifically to keep the mid-major school down.

Notre Dame, not being as cuddly as a MWC or WAC school, could never get support here for a similar schedule.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I can't believe we're having an argument over Utah. The kiddie table is over there. Don't hurt yourself with the spork.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

According to the final BCS strength of schedule ranking Utah played the 57th toughest schedule, Florida played the 3rd toughest. Even if the methodology is really flawed, it's safe to say Utah had an easier path, which has to discount their undefeated season relative to Florida's one loss.

Without a head-to-head game, there is nothing conclusive saying one team is better than the other--or more deserving of a championship. It's obviously all people's opinions.

My opinion: Put Utah on the field with Florida 10 times and Florida probably wins at least 7 times.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

May be the first time I've ever agreed with you on anything. :eek:

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Had no idea who won until I logged on the board this morning.

Does this mean it's all over? If so, hallelujah.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't have a National Champion because the four best teams on January 9, 2009, will not play each other due to an idiotic system. So I guess the only thing to do is to congratulate Florida on winning a fictitious National Championship.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Going into last night, had the Gators won, I thought that's what I would believe too. But the Sooners marched up and down the field in the first half, leaving 10 points on the field, then missed another three after halftime. Poor play-calling by the Sooners in the red zone cost them last night. Why they didn't go to Gresham more -- Florida had no answer him -- more, who knows.

Utah.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Utah did not hammer Michigan senseless. They won after Michigan failed to convert a 2 pt conversion.

I used that as my reasoning for keeping Utah out of the top 5 all season. Then they beat Bama and all bets were off.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Put George Mason in the tournament 10 times and 9 times they don't make the final four.

But that's why they play the game.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why don't you expand that reasoning to 25 teams and vote in the damn poll...

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The did hammer Michigan for three quarters ... before the Wolverines used a fumble and a blocked punt to get back in the game. It never should have been that close.

12. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Well, the team with the best record
    Except in college football, they don't play it. That's the whole problem. Until you have a tournament where every team in the field has the same chance at the title, every argument is pointless. You can just set up the criteria to fit the team you like the best and call that team the champ.

Draft saved Draft deleted