1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is YOUR National Champion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 9, 2009.

?

Who is YOUR National Champion?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2009.
  1. Utah

51.8%
  2. Florida

32.5%
  3. Texas

6.0%
  4. USC

9.6%
  1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And I'd be stunned if they got half the support for No. 1 that Utah is getting now (or even as much as Hawaii got pre-Sugar Bowl last season)

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The fact that the Sugar Bowl meant nothing is a fact. Comparing the SEC championship game and a meaningless bowl game is silly. Different levels of pressure, preparation, meaning, etc. That is also a fact.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OutofPlace -- You are missing the most important rule in college football bowl games according to SEC fanboys.....

Bowl games are the be-all, end-all way to determine the strentgh of a conference -- unless the SEC team loses, then it is a meaningless game in which they didn't really want to play in.......

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your attempts to describe the mindset of the Alabama players going into that game is guesswork. Nothing more.

Utah had no chance to win a national championship in the Suger Bowl, either.

Edit: Damn, I'm there I go agreeing with Zag again.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

You can't deny that Utah had more to play for in that game.

And again, everything at this point is guesswork.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Bullseye. And you've no idea how many times I've seen that very logic employed by SEC fanboys. The Sugar Bowl, long the SEC fanboys' holiest of destinations, is now portrayed as just a glorified exhibition game because the SEC team got their ass kicked.

7. zagoshe

Why did they have more to play for again?

I mean, it was a BCS bowl for christ's sakes.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If we can't adjudicate the best team in the country based on the whole shed of facts, and instead have to rely on giving it to the team with the littlest number in the L column without regard to how they got there, then we are lost.

And before you cast this as an anti-mid-major vote: Texas Christian would have stood a legitimate shot at No. 1 had they run the table because they'd have wins against Oklahoma, Utah, BYU and whoever they played in the national title game (with a better strength of schedule than Utah, they likely would have played in it)

9. zagoshe

Of course I'm sure the same people who are saying that Alabama was disappointed because they were 12-1 and locked out of the BCS title game and thought they'd be playing for a national title are going to afford Texas Tech the same benefit of the doubt.....

Oh wait, I forgot, Texas Tech just got whupped by a physically superior team from a physically superior conference......

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, no pressure whatsoever on Alabama, other than the humiliation of losing to a MWC in a game played in front of what was essentially a home crowd.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What more did they have to gain? They couldn't win the national championship. Pride? Hell, Alabama had that on the line, too. Maybe the Alabama players were ticked off that they blew their shot at a championship and wanted to take it out on the next team that got in their way, but Utah was just too good for them?

The mindreading is guesswork. The fact is Utah beat Alabama and everybody else on its schedule. Florida can only claim the former.

12. zagoshe

Um, no if Notre Dame ran that slate and were the only undefeated they'd not only be No. 1 we'd be hearing how Weis is a genius again......

And they'd be a top 12 to 15 team at 5-0 and then would jump way up into the top 10 with a win over USC in week 6 and have eight more weeks (including byes) to work their way up to the top with other teams losing.

Draft saved Draft deleted