1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is YOUR National Champion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 9, 2009.

?

Who is YOUR National Champion?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2009.
  1. Utah

51.8%
  2. Florida

32.5%
  3. Texas

6.0%
  4. USC

9.6%
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And you know this how?

And don't tell me Utah -- who smacked the shit out of Alabama -- couldn't have gotten through Alabama's slate undefeated and then it would have come down to -- can they beat Florida?

I think Florida and Utah are close enough to say that nobody really knows and it would depend on who played better that day.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

To penalize Utah for its schedule means you also must penalize it for the relative strength of its bowl opponent, which is to penalize it for not getting the play in the mythical national championship game, which is entirely beyond its control. The Utes got a crack at Alabama, and they took full advantage.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Says who? Show me your empirical evidence that backs up that opinion. They beat the same SEC team that did get to the Sugar Bowl. And they beat that team much easier than the team that ended up winning the SEC Championship and fraudulent BCS national title was able to. And they beat the same team that beat the Pac 10 Champion.

You have no evidentiary basis for making that statement other than your own entirely unsupported opinion.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I do love when we start thinking we can read minds. That is what the crappy system in college football has driven us to. You are guessing about the mental state of Alabama's players, just like the people who insist that Florida or USC would have beaten Utah are guessing.

What we know is Utah went undefeated against a schedule that was not a joke. As somebody pointed out earlier, this is not BYU in 1984. If you stick to what we know rather than taking educated guesses, Utah should be the national champion.

Edit: You see how screwed up this is? It's so bad that even Zag and I agree.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

No one knows anything for sure. That's the point.

We are forced to look at other factors. One of those is strength of schedule. One of those is strength of conference. Neither of those are in Utah's favor compared to UF and OU.

6. zagoshe

But wait a minute -- Utah beat the second best team in Florida's conference -- deep in their territory -- in a more impressive fashion than Florida did.

And there is this other thing -- Utah did not lose.

And those two factors trump any SEC fanboy rantings about how tough their conference is.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What's more impressive?

Florida's win over Alabama in Atlanta in front of a neutral crowd?

Utah's win over Alabama in New Orleans in front of mostly Alabama fans?

8. Damn. It IS bad.

9. zagoshe

Florida because they are in the SEC and they have Tebow and lord knows that makes them the bestest in the whole world......

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

In a game that meant nothing.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not to mention that Florida had a much tougher time with Bama, not taking the lead until the final six minutes of the game. Whereas Utah never trailed Alabama after jumping out to an early 21 to 0 first lead, scoring on their first three possession, on their way to a 31-17 beatdown.

Also, as an aside, I'm surprised Texas isn't getting more love in this poll. They beat Oklahoma by ten points, the exact same margin as Florida. And their only loss was at Texas Tech in the last seconds of the game on sideline tip-toeing touchdown pass. I'd say their resume for this prize looks just about the same as Florida's.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

More mind-reading and guesswork put up against the facts supporting Utah.

Draft saved Draft deleted