1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is YOUR National Champion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 9, 2009.

?

Who is YOUR National Champion?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2009.
  1. Utah

51.8%
  2. Florida

32.5%
  3. Texas

6.0%
  4. USC

9.6%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if there was a playoff, USC would win, but I think Utah has to be the national champion.

They didn't lose a game. With USC, Texas and Florida, you can make a pretty damn good argument for any of those teams to win the title. USC had a really bad loss. Florida lost at home and Texas lost to a team that turned out not to be nearly as good as people thought at the time. You could argue over those three teams for ages.

Or you could give it to the team that actually went undefeated. This isn't BYU in 1984. Utah didn't beat a 6-5 Michigan team to win the title. They won a BCS game over a team that was essentially playing in its own backyard, against probably the best coach in the country.

Utah is extremely deserving, far more so than the other three.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Declaring a national champion in major college football always has and -- until there is a playoff -- always will be a farce. You don't have a national champion unless you have a playoff. All anybody is declaring is who is No. 1 in the last poll, nothing more. All Florida won last night is the *BCS championship*.

That said, I think Florida deserves to be No. 1 in the last poll.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If ND runs the table next year with their soft schedule I wonder if they get the votes:

9/05/09 Nevada Notre Dame, IN Notre Dame Stadium
    9/12/09 @ Michigan Ann Arbor, MI Michigan Stadium
    9/19/09 Michigan State Notre Dame, IN Notre Dame Stadium
    9/26/09 @ Purdue West Laffayette, IN Rose Ade Stadium
    10/3/09 Washington Notre Dame, IN Notre Dame Stadium
    10/17/09 USC Notre Dame, IN Notre Dame Stadium
    10/24/09 Boston College Notre Dame, IN Notre Dame Stadium
    10/31/09 vs. Washington State San Antonio, Texas Alamo Dome
    11/7/09 Navy Notre Dame, IN Notre Dame Stadium
    11/14/09 @ Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA Heinz Field
    11/21/09 Connecticut Notre Dame, IN Notre Dame Stadium
    11/28/09 @ Stanford Palo Alto, CA Stanford Stadium

4. Mizzougrad96

I have no problem penalizing a team for the non-conference games they play. I do have a problem penalizing teams because of their conference.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nebraska was rewarded when the played Troy, Rice, Baylor and all those other crap teams.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Don't even say that.

7. Mizzougrad96

If Notre Dame ran the table, I would be stunned if they weren't No. 1.

In some years, that schedule would be among the toughest in the country. It just happens to be a coincidence that almost all of those programs have been down in the last few years.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Why? With the crappy system that's in place, you have to use other factors. I think a conference's strength is perfectly legitimate factor to consider. Otherwise, what's the point of opting to play in the Big 12, Big 10, etc.?

Why not drop out of that conference, play nobodies just to go 12-0 and then demand a spot in the title game?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Extreme analogy... Mount Union College was given its schedule and won every game on it, too.

Everyone agrees that DIII is not as strong as DI. Why is it unreasonable to judge that "the MWC is not as strong as the SEC"?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

ND vs. Wazzu in San Antonio. That one makes sense.

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, but they made up for it when they beat every Big 8 team by 40 points.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

8-4 and back to the Hawai'i Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted