1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is your go-to movie critic?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 9, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really followed Ebert and Siskel. They had different tastes and if they agreed that a movie was good - it was.
    Still like Ebert - he explains WHY a movie is good, why it works, no matter the genre (low brow/high brow/action etc.). Mostly - I check Rotten Tomatoes now.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't know. Usually read two or three critics/reviewers whose opinions I respect. If all are either unanimous that it's either great or it sucks, I'll go on either my must see or avoid at all costs lists.

I like reviews where no one agrees. Then I'm intrigued.

Same as restaurants. I'm not going to go to a new place where every single review has been 1/2 a star.

Problem today with action movies (I agree mostly with Dick) is that they're even dumbed down to appeal to 13 year old boys. You can make intelligent thrillers without things blowing up every two minutes

Draft saved Draft deleted