1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is your go-to movie critic?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 9, 2011.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Take out Citizen Kane and you have a pretty good list. And just think, I really only paid to see half of those movies, too.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

In addition to Ebert, I try to find a midpoint between Ann Hornaday (WaPo) and Kent Wolgamott (Lincoln Journal-Star).

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The problem about with critics is they think you have to go to a "film" then afterward stop off at a piano bar, drink coffee and discuss it's meaning. They miss the major point of movies "did I get $7.50 worth of entertainment out of it?" If the answer is yes, then it's a good movie.

4. JackReacher

$7.50, huh? I need to go to THAT theatre.

5. Shoeless Joe

My wife and I usually hit the Sunday afternoon matinee

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The movies I find entertainment are the ones where you "stop off at a piano bar, drink coffee and discuss its meaning" afterward, so to speak.

They don't think "The Expendables" or "Saw 9 1/2)" is $7.50 worth of entertainment. They think it's drivel.

So do I.

The idea that films are either (1) Entertaining; or (2) Thoughtful is a total false dichotomy. I'm bored two minutes into an action flick or romantic comedy.

7. JackReacher

Yeah. I've heard him on the Junks. Lots of times, actually. Same with the rest, though. Hit or miss.

8. Shoeless Joe

I don't get into the Saw stuff, but I was thinking The Expendables exactly when I mentioned LeMire earlier. Everything she had as a negative, I have as a positive. Is it Oscar-worthy? Obviously not. Is it two hours of "Hell Yeah?" Absolutely.

9. Dick Whitman

See, Ebert judges movies against their aim. So he's not judging "The Expendables" on the same criteria as "The King's Speech." That's a fair way to do it, I suppose, but you end up seeing a lot of craptastic movies getting 3 1/2 to 4 stars.

I just can't watch an action flick. All the same to me. Explosions. Gun play. Someone gets his ass kicked. Someone's car flips over a few times. Seen one, you've seen 'em all. Those movies are the opposite of escapism for me. I begin looking at my watch from the first whoopin'.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

Action movies are an insult to your goddamn intelligence, Dick. Fight the power!!

Wait, you ARE the power.

Carry on.

12. Dick Whitman

Nah, I just don't enjoy them.

Everyone wants something different out of their viewing experience.

I understand the appeal. But they just don't appeal to me. I think part of it has been that I watch a lot of my movies the last few years on my tiny TV while I'm on the treadmill. Action movies don't play so well on that.

Basically I just take issue with the idea that movies are either: (1) Entertaining; or (2) Critical favorites.

Action movies aren't the only entertaining movies. They are just a different kind of entertaining. Some people would tell me that I'm not very bright because I couldn't follow "Inception."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted