1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is your go-to movie critic?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 9, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I forgot www.screenit.com.

http://www.screenit.com/ourtake/2010/true_grit.html

The site is clunky as hell, but they have a very high standard for a good review. Plus, this is good for those with young kids.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can count the number of times I've agreed with a critic on one hand. Maybe one finger. The middle one.

3. Seconded.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Really? I mean, really? You sound like the kid in my middle school class who thought movie reviewers sucked because Ace Ventura wasn't considered the best film of the year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hyperbole...

There is always one critic who likes a movie and one who hates a movie.

You never see 100% or 0% on rottentomatoes.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

No one before I see a movie, and then Ebert.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Anthony Lane can make me laugh like no other. His review of the Mamma Mia movie was beyond priceless.

But since Ebert agrees with me some 97% of the time, who else am I going to say? . . . though I will note that we disagree more, in more-recent years.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One thing about Ace Ventura . . . it was the best picture of Jim Carrey's life, and likely to remain so.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Lane's book, a collection of reviews and essays, is definitely worth buying. Definitely enjoy the New Yorker more when it's his week instead of Denby's.

Ebert still. And David Edelstein in NY Mag is another favorite.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Feel the same about Ebert. If you just look at his star ratings, you'll find his actual reviews don't necessarily agree.

I usually just got to IMDB.com and click on external reviews to get a nice collection. Ebert, Village Voice, Rolling Stone, LA Times, SF Chronicle, Slate, Salon -- all are represented and give a good representation. Don't overlook the IMDB message boards either. Some of those threads have good analysis of things that don't fit in a 500-word moview review.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yes, really. Sorry if that goes against whatever it is you do. Typically, I see a trailer, determine whether or not I want to see the movie, ask a few people I know if they've seen it or what they think about it, and then go or don't go. It's really that simple. I'm not buying a fucking house. I'm going to the movies.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just remember, Sonner's favorite movies, in order are Saw III, Saw, Saw II, Saw V, Citizen Kane, Saw IV, Saw VI, and Saw VII.

Draft saved Draft deleted