1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the worst president in history?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JakeandElwood, Aug 7, 2008.

1. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Ok, Ok...I'll play along.

Ulysses S. Grant: great General, bad president. Rampant corruption in his adminstration...ushered in the first whispers of the Gilded Age and took the teeth out of Reconstruction, setting it up for it's ultimate demise in the Tilden-Hayes Compromise.

But I am serious about looking back in 20 years. Hell, I'd take a hard look at Jimmy Carter's term right now too.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think Carter will be in the discussion a decade or two after he dies. His poor management of the economy is strike one, and we're just now seeing the effects of his Middle East policy.
    Buchanan is a good vote, but the seeds of the Civil War were planted long before he took office (see Kansas and Nebraska in the 1850s). Maybe his poor leadership hastened its coming, but it was probably just a matter of time before the war happened.
    Hoover is a good choice. Self-reliance is a wonderful concept, except when half your country is out of work and starving to death.
    I'll also throw in a vote for Andrew Johnson. He was a petty man who couldn't get over personal insults enough to allow the country to heal. His reconstruction policies shaped the culture of the South for the next 140 years. He was also the first president impeached, and probably the only one to have been impeached for a good reason.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Those of you vowing to check back in 20 years will, I think, be chastened to realize how foolish your perceptions were in 2008. Same thing happened to me with Reagan.

Carter would get my vote – and did, in 1976. I got smarter, later.

Harding, while a fraternity brother of mine, did a poor job as well.

Grant won the war, so he gets a pass.

And yeah, lying under oath is a terrible reason to get into trouble. You try it sometime and see where it gets you.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Johnson gets my vote for essentially sabotaging Reconstruction.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Excellent analysis, Batman.

(not necessarily to be read while imagining Robin's voice)

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Johnson was hamstrung by rules which wouldn't let him ditch Lincoln's cabinet...
    we're seeing three -- Carter, Bush and Nixon, in no order

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Grant may have won the war, but he couldn't have done it without a brilliant civil-military dynamic with Lincoln, or a hellcat of a merciless bastard in WT Sherman.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, Grant won the war, but he had no idea how to run a country.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why in the heck did LBJ not make that list?

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

For all of LBJ's failures, his signing of the Civil Rights Act keeps him away from the worst.

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

You have to ask?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and a lotta middle- to lower-class parents with dead solider sons from the '60s will argue that point.

Draft saved Draft deleted