1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the worst big-name actor and actress working?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Con Air is my ultimate guilty pleasure. I love the movie, but I recognize that it's just ridiculous. With Cage, you know he's a good actor, but he makes some terrible movies.

Scarlett was tremendous in Match Point and incredible in Ghost World. I actually liked The Island, but I may be the only one.

I actually liked The Island, but I think she's done more smaller parts in huge movies than doing a part when she can actually act. I'm sure she makes 10X more for Iron Man 2 than some indie, so I don't blame her.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Johansson was good in 'Match Point,' 'Lost in Translation' and 'Girl with a Pearl Earing.'
    I loved 'Ghost World.' It's one of my favorite movies, but although her performance is good the role is negligible.

I thought her performances in 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' and 'The Other Boleyn Girl' were good. Both movies were terrible, but she wasn't bad.

I liked the 'The Prestige,' but I didn't think she was good in it. Gorgeous but not good.

'The Black Dahlia' was terrible and she was bad.
    'The Island' and 'Scoop' were both terrible, and she was bad in both of them.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think it's IJAG who always says Affleck is a supporting actor in a leading man's body, which I think is a great way to look at it. When he's not carrying a film, he can really do some good work.

As for Wahlberg, I'd say he's horribly overrated. His best supporting actor nom for 'The Departed' was a joke. I thought he barely passable in that movie. I often hear his performance in 'Boogie Nights' touted highly as well and I just don't see it. I recently saw 'Fear' for the first time and it's incredible how wooden he really is.

I just don't see it ... Donnie is 10x the actor Mark is.

4. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

If you want to see how bad Wahlberg is, watch "Four Brothers." Unbelievably bad. I liked The Island, too, Mizzou.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

How could we have gotten this far and nobody mentioned Ashton Kutcher ---

He is fucking awful and his movies are fucking terrible.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I actually thought Kutcher was pretty good in "The Guardian." But he's got a looooong way to go to dig his way out of the ditch named "Dude, Where's My Car?"

7. Mizzougrad96

I liked The Guardian as well. Butterfly Effect was pretty good as well.

I see a lot of similarities between Affleck and a young Alec Baldwin. Great actors who are more comfortable doing indie, supporting or comedic roles than they are as romantic leads or action stars.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I liked Spanglish and thought he was pretty good. Funny People should have been better, good concept bad execution, but he wasn't terrible.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Affleck was the bomb in "Phantoms," yo![/gratuitous Kevin Smith reference]

10. If Wahlberg counts as a big name. And that's a HUGE " IF" - he is hands down my winner. He is sooo bad.

11. Mizzougrad96

I really liked Funny People.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The first 2/3 of it was pretty good. Then they went to Eric Bana's house.

Draft saved Draft deleted