1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the worst big-name actor and actress working?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 14, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's a difference between being an actor and, you know, getting to be in a movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Jake Gyllenhaal is among the "new A-list" that I cannot stand. All I see is one character, Donnie Darko, in different situations. Dunno if Matthew McConaughey is still A-list anymore, but he's a close second for the same reason.

Damn, that was a hard paragraph to spell.

As for ladies, there are so many nameless faces filling up crappy action love-interest roles, it's really hard to decide.

3. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Channing Tatum, more boring than a brick wall. Just awful.

Drew Barrymore is a great choice, too. Not even attractive. Just putrid. Also agree with Travolta and Wahlberg.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

She's had her bright moments, but I'm not sure any major actress has turned in the absolute shit performances that Nicole Kidman has in some fairly major films. She was comically awful in "Eyes Wide Shut" and "Malice," to name two.

John Travolta has made an entire career out of two roles, "Saturday Night Fever" and "Pulp Fiction." He's unwatchably bad in most of his other roles.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'll go wild and say that I can't stand Daniel Day-Lewis ( I just said this on the movie thread). I think he overacts in every single thing he does, and I never believe him in his roles. I'm sure I'm on my own island with that one. On a different note, Paul Walker is horrifying. As is Scarlett Johansson. Sorry. Beautiful. But sucky.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Coupled in the wagering with ... Chaz Bono?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Say all you want about Denise Richards, but the pool scene with Neve Campbell in Wild Things was gold.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Wahlberg and Affleck are actually underrated.

Great call on Barrymore and Paltrow. Paltrow was decent in both Iron Man movies, but other than those, I don't think she's done anything decent since Shakespeare in Love.

I get the sense that Barrymore is really well-liked gets a free pass even though I couldn't tell you the last time she was decent in a movie.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Adam Sandler was funny in the 90s, but I haven't been too impressed with any of his recent work.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Two Lovers.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I heard somebody else saying they thought she was terrible.
    Personally, I think she's very good, beyond the white-hot-intensity-of-a-thousand-suns sex appeal.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Agree on both counts. Affleck was really good in "Bounce" (which just wasn't a very good movie) and "State of Play". Wahlberg has done some good stuff like "The Departed".

Cage has indeed turned in some horrendous performances (recently saw "Con Air" for the first time in years, and he's just laughable), but gets a lifetime pass from the "worst" list for "Leaving Las Vegas". That was some acting right there.

Barrymore is like nails on a chalkboard for me. She somehow manages to convey permanent haughtiness coupled with the complete inability to act, which is a tough combination to pull off.

Draft saved Draft deleted