1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the smartest sports writer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Written well, but it doesn't blow me out of the water. But it's good.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

When and where did this run? I'd rather read the print version, to see how the story was display and to take it to the can.

(And I have to admit, I just wanted to use the quote function on the longest post I've ever "quoted." 8) )

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That looks like it might have been his Sportsman of the Year profile from 2005. Check out the SI vault.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

jgmacg

On this, I will not argue.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good call on Pierce.

Not sports anymore, but Mike Littwin was another guy who was smart as hell. I sat next to him at some Orioles games about a zillion years ago and he just seemed like he was at another level.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I feel like he's my every vote, but I think Jeff Passan is pretty bright.

7. I like Pierce. Hated the Brady piece.

How about the SF Chronicle "Game of Shadows" duo?

8. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Well, he is at the Cubs game today.

Which, considering today's news, is somewhat odd. I'd figure that he would want to work when the GOP announces its Veep nominee.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He is. Just admit your man-crush on him already!

10. Pat_Forde

Pat_Forde New Member

Charlie Pierce's story on Magic Johnson after he announced he had AIDS, "The Magic Act," (Esquire? or GQ?) was a wonderful showcase for his remarkable brain. He discussed Magic and AIDS within the context of the great scourges and plagues throughout human history. Ain't many of us pulling off that in this lifetime.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My brother is a doctor, scored the second-highest score ever on his school's MCAT and is pretty much a genius.

Yet he had all kinds of trouble understanding when I tried to explain to him why you cannot see stars in the sky in those photos the astronauts took from the moon.

Draft saved Draft deleted