1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most underrated player in baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Jun 9, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, he really doesn't. Sizemore is very highly rated, especially for a guy batting .261.

93Devil, I'm not sure you can count All-Star voting in this because so much of it is based on a player's reputation coming into the season. Quentin and McLouth didn't even have starting jobs until the end of Spring Training and neither had been a full-time player before this year. They both still have to show they can sustain this type of production.

Nady has had runs like this before, but he has never been able to sustain it.

I do think Uggla is underrated, though the low vote total is understandable for a player who batted only .245 a year ago. Plus, many of the players you listed are in smaller markets with weak attendance.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I know he's young, but I'd be willing to give Carmona more cred if he didn't take a dump all over himself in the ALCS last year. I know he's good and he'll have more chances in the postseason, but all I have in my mind is him coming up very small in some big games.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Carl Crawford gets my vote. Last year, I'm pretty sure he became the first player since R. Alomar in 1992 with 10 or more HRs, 80 or more RBI and 50 or more steals.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

gotta be captain jeter or hip-hip jorge posada. :eek: :eek: :eek:

sorry, couldn't resist, anti-yankees nation! ;D ;D ;D

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree that Halladay is a great call, even though he's already been a Cy Young winner.

Hanley Ramirez? If he was somewhere else, he'd be getting huge attention. Not so much in Miami.

Chase Utley is getting a lot of attention this year but the past two years he's been overshadowed by Rollins and Howard when I really thought he was a huge reason for the Phillies' success.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Jose Reyes, 2006: 19 HR, 81 RBI, 64 SB

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Sizemore has 12 HRs, and his OPS is higher than David Ortiz, Justin Morneau, Bobby Abreu and several of the players mentioned already on this list.

And his UZR (a fielding metric) was the highest in the American League for outfielders last season.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I did not know if underrated was in the eyes of the fan or the eyes of the writers.

If it's the fans, then the All-Star vote is a great barometer.

9. outofplace

Now I'm sounding like spnited, but UZR? You're kidding, right?

I'm not questioning his talent, though he has had some pretty ugly slumps this season. I just think Sizemore does get his due.

10. Walter_Sobchak

Give me a better standard of measuring outfielders.

11. outofplace

Better yet, give me a statistical measure that people actually agree is worthwhile.

12. Walter_Sobchak

Way to pull out the strawman argument. I presented you with a stat that says Sizemore's among the best outfielders in baseball. You not buying into that particular stat doesn't mean dick. If you don't think its legit, then present a counter argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted