1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most under-rated band ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 1, 2007.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Blur (in the US, at least)

2. I love Kansas and am usually mocked for it. Good to see I'm not the only one.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

They've both been mentioned, so let me second them:

Rush

The Cars

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm down with that. the keith moon "who" were incredibl. lights out. and j.b. was the king of the l.a. singer-songwriter movement of the '70s 00 and he's still writing good stuff, despite no radio format for the likes of him..

5. As a Who guy from the first moment I heard "Happy Jack" in 1965, it's really hard to make a case that they're underrated. They're reckoned in the Place position after the Beatles and the Stones generally, and Townshend is probably one of the most respected people in rock.
    JB's not a bad call, though, especially his later stuff.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Jackson Browne is a solid name to note on this thread. If one just picks up a greatest hits record of his, they'll be hooked on his songwriting abilities. He has a DVD, Going Home, that is a must for JB fans. It's from 1994.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

All-time, I'll go with The Kinks

Also receiving votes...

Crowded House
    The Pernice Brothers
    Joe Jackson
    Big Star
    Paul Kelly
    Elliott Smith

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Nice choice. Definitely agree.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I'll fourth or fifth, Rush and the Pixies, agree with Zagoshe on Van Halen, add Mathew Sweet, third the Kinks, second Joe Jackson and would have to add Soundgarden. People think Seattle they usually think Nirvana or Pearl Jam, but they were actually getting critical acclaim well before the great grunge bust of '91.

Personally, I think Matthew Sweet is terribly underrated. It's amazing he's getting some recognition now because of Guitar Hero II of all things.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I only put the Who on this list because I truly feel they get short shrift on this board.

I hear a lot about Led Zep on these threads, and not much about them.

Just like on crappy classic rock radio, where you hear a lot of songs they've turned into novelties and hardly any of the truly great songs.

I develop a mancrush on any Dj who plays The Load Out or his version of I Am A Patriot.

11. Dear Crappy Classic Rock Radio --

Please play "In A Hand Or A Face" or "Slip Kid" from By Numbers instead of freaking "Squeeze Box."

Thank you.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Edward Bear.

One of Tarantino's newly discovered favourites. They were underrated by CANADIAN standards, which is saying a lot. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted