1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the "most trusted" (wo)man in America?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Walter Cronkite was commonly referred to as the "Most trusted man in America" when he was the anchor of the six o'clock news. As we all know, there was much less fragmentation of media then, with only three networks then, no Internet and no CNN. My question: Who gets the modern-day title for Most Trusted Man (woman?) in America? I would probably have to say it's Oprah, which is a sad commentary on the state of the media, news, citizenry of the good Ol' U.S. of A.

Who else might take the "Most Trusted" title? John Stewart? Anderson Cooper? Brian Williams? Larry King?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Seriously, there's few, if any, people in mainstream media who are all that trustworthy, if we're using the Walter Cronkite model.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Mrs. CI and I had a confab and came up with some ideas:

Oprah (First name that came to mind. Sorry)

Katie Couric. ("A trusting, motherly face," says the better half)

Barack Obama (We love him here in Illinois, and he seems to be tearing down some partisan borders)

Also some other names that came to our minds: John McCain, Jon Stewart (not sure how much the right trusts him, though), Anderson Cooper, etc.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pirate Lou

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mr Rogers was pretty much it for me.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I think things have become too partisan for there to be a most trusted man or woman in America.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'd trust Lisa Simpson with my life. She plays the sax like a president should.
    [​IMG]

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And she's a person of pretty clean morals, too.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Billy Graham.

Anyone who trusts that skank Oprah should have their head examined.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I wish Bernard Shaw were still around. He'd win hands-down.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't say why exactly I settled on him... But I trust Jimmy Carter. Wasn't a very effective president, but he was the most honest one during my lifetime.

Draft saved Draft deleted