1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most overrated player in baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Zambrano has 90 wins, 1,105 strikeouts and a 3.38 ERA in his career. He is 8-2 this season with a 3.01 ERA.

He turned 27 on June 1.

I am absolutely a Cubs looser fanboy, but I just don't see it.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

After tonight, Dontrelle Willis.

3. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Lo Duca is a great player and an even better clubhouse guy.

[​IMG]

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wow, did Jorge step on your toe or something? A switch-hitting catcher, always on base, hits for power and high average, drives in 100 runs, and plays every day? Yeah, there are plenty of them around. :p

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I mostly wrote that to jerk the chains of Cubs fanboi loosers on this board.

However, Zambrano's meltdown a few days ago soured me on him as a pitcher. A player doesn't lead a team solely based on statistics or All Star-caliber play. A guy like Zambrano should set an example for his team. Smashing water coolers and throwing shit in the dugout after giving up a home run does not set that kind of leadership example.

And, most of us should remember that isn't the first time Zambrano let his temper get the best of him. I don't mind competitiveness. I do mind letting that get in the way of doing what's best for your team.

And that, more than earned run averages, strikeouts per nine innings or batting averages against, is why I think Zambrano's overrated.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As I recall, Zambrano's teammates loved watching him go apeshit the other night. They'll always love him for punching Michael Barrett. Anyway, temper or otherwise, no way I call Zambrano overrated. He's one of the few pitchers to sign a big contract and actually earn it. Not only is he a great pitcher, but also is the best hitting pitcher this side of Micah Owings. As long as Zambrano remembers to hydrate between innings, his numbers will be good, and his teammates will love him.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, and this thread is all about perception. Zambrano's meltdown in the dugout the other day shouldn't change anybody's perception of him. He is always demonstrative and that is far from the first emotional outburst we have seen from him.

Zambrano is a little erratic, but overall he is extremely effective and durable.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

anti-yankees nation gets a tad carried away at times, methinks.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a lifelong Bosox fan, I've never been a Jeter fan but I've got to admit he's far from overrated. Its not like he's hitting .260 and making All-Star teams like Scooter, he's a lifetime .314 hitter and has nearly 2,500 hits, a near certainty for 3000. His glove may be not as great as the perception but he's got the knack for making huge plays (Jeremy Giambi, run into the seats in 2004(?)). Yes he gets huge hype as a Yankee but he did win those 4 rings and was a major part of them and has been a fine baseball representative for over 14 years now.

My choice is Sheffield because the year the Marlins won, he hit .260, riding Kevin Brown/Leiter's coattails.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Jeter IS overrated defensively. He turns routine plays for a regular shortstop into great plays. But there's no way he's overrated as a baseball player. It's not his fault he's been the face of (arguably) the biggest franchise in professional sports during a time when they've won four titles. And this is coming from a Sox fan. I'd have him on my team any day.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Interesting responses, for sure, most of which I don't agree with. But that's good, that's what this discussion is all about. To those who wondered who is overrating Beltran, you mustn't be watching Mets broadcasts. They continue to rave about the guy, who I see as a player with a lot of talent but someone who comes across as very soft, someone who takes too many strikes and one who fails a bit too often in the clutch. And as a Gold Glove centerfielder, I would rather have Mike Cameron. I'm being tough but I see Beltran not doing well at coming in on a ball, and I'm far from sold on him as a cleanup hitter.

But hey, this is just an opinion. Yours is as valuable as mine. Thanks for listening.

Draft saved Draft deleted