1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most over-rated band ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, May 1, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Damn, Oz, you really need to branch out. Too many musical turkey sandwiches and bananas.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My dislike for the Eagles made for an unfortunate cab ride recently ...

[​IMG]

I don't totally hate the Eagles, there's some songs I don't mind or even enjoy like Take It To The Limit, Peaceful, Easy Feeling or even Lyin' Eyes. But Lord are they ever overrated. Hotel California (the album and song) are overrated. One Of These Nights (the song, never heard the whole album) blows. Witchy Woman sucks. Desperado pretty much sucks. The entire Long Run album save In The City really sucks.

I used to have the On The Border album and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't so good that I didn't sell it for food in my poverty-stricken Ball State days.

Their reputation far exceeds their influence.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The Doors, and it ain't even close. If Jim Morrison hadn't died while he was young and still handsome, people would have long ago forgotten about them.

Oh, and most underrated band ever -- The Kinks.

4. I'm tempted not to answer :D

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. The only Nirvana I still listen to regularly is the Unplugged album, but I love it. i listen to Oasis more now than I did 10 years ago.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Tyler, you suck. :)

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I still listen to Tool, the RHCP, the White Stripes, Linkin Park, etc. But 90s alternative, that's where it was for me. Everything I like now goes back to that movement (and 80s alternative like R.E.M., The Cure, Midnight Oil, etc.).

8. Man, if the hairs on the back of your neck didn't stick up the first time you heard even those first few chords of Teen Spirit then there's really nothing left to say ... you were already old and curmudgeonly ...

But that's OK, I'm getting like that with the bands I'm hearing today. Chemical Romance and EMO groups - yuck ... we all get attached to a decade and then hold on for dear life. Mine is the 90s. Yours is whenever Rush was considered good.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think the Beatles stand alone from a critical standpoint. I personally relate to the Stones' style more, but there's no denying that the Beatles were the pioneers. The Stones' worst stuff in the 60s was when they tried to copy the Beatles' psychedelic period. She's a Rainbow, Child of the Moon and a couple of other songs were great, but the Stones were suffering from what we called "anxiety of influence" back in my lit crit classes. The Stones were best when they were bringing out the African-American roots of their music.

Regarding 90s alt-rock stuff, it was hard for me to evaluate because I was in my mid/late 20s, starting to feel like a grown-up and so I was impatient with stuff that seemed like music for perpetual adolescents. I always thought that punk won the battle but lost the war. Punk won the battle in that it brought passion, energy and spontaneity back to a genre that had gotten very boring. But the rockstar posing, the macho strutting, the self-indulgent bullshit from classic rock was very much represented in the alt-rock culture. So in that sense, punk lost the war...at least when you're talking about bands like Clash and DKs that wanted punk to fuel a social movement...or bands like Minor Threat and Black Flag that wanted the music to be about raw honesty.

10. The unplugged and the live along the banks album are their best ones. I can listen to Oasis, even brings back memories, but they were hardly original.

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The Doors are OK. Morrison had a fine voice and he was a compelling frontman. But his lyrics weren't that great and a lot of their stuff sounds like pretentious hippie junk to my ears. The Doors don't hold up well compared to the other huge 60s acts -- the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, Dylan, Led Zeppelin, the Kinks.
    Hell, you want to talk about decadent L.A. bands, I would much rather listen to Jane's Addiction. And if Perry Farrell had died young, we would all be worshiping him....instead, he did too much dope and became irrelevant.

12. It was getting quiet there for a second, I have a feeling Junkie's going to lay it down. For the record I like sparring with ya Junkie ... you're pretty intense ...

Thought I'd get that out of the way before you totally insult me ... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted