1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most over-rated band ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, May 1, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I'll have to check that out. Is there anywhere I can go to hear full song clips?

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

http://wilcoworld.net/sbs/index.php

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

OK, this is fantastic.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

The hounds are being released. Well not really, but I love the saying.

Like Son Volt a lot, very good live band. First two records were great, third was good. Just not as great as Wilco though.

But, Wilco is in a class with a very few bands. They haven;t made the same album twice, and even tough I don't like Sky Blue Sky much, they have made arguable the best record of the 2000s with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and Summerteeth is about a good a pop record as you can make. Not bad for a country-tiged rock band.

I think they did get a lot of mileage out the of the YHF vs. Reprise issue though. And please Jeff get rid of Nels Cline, he will ruin the band. 1970s California sound is not a good thing. I hope they don't turn into the Eagles.

The new record is being streamed on Wilco's website wilcoworld.net.

But I think it's great people notice either band, and then go back and dig some Uncle Tupelo.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm a few songs into Sky Blue Sky online and I'm kinda liking it.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Ugh.
    While we're at it, how about we also bash Mozart, Bach and Schubert?
    Hacks, every one of them.

7. word

[​IMG]

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, dear God.
    Now we're dissing James Taylor.
    It goes on and on.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I challenge you to explain to me how:

Steamroller sounds like Country Road sounds like Only One sounds like You Can Close Your Eyes sounds like Brother Trucker sounds like Ananas sounds like Millworker sounds like I Was Only Telling A Lie.
    None of these songs is alike.
    All express different emotions and viewpoints.
    Dylan sings crappy so he's a poet.
    Taylor sings like an angel so he's "sappy."
    Go get your ears checked, K?

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I saw Taylor at the Deandome in the early 90s and it's still one of the best shows I've ever seen. It might not be high art, but it's feel-good music and there's nothing wrong with that.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm with 2B. Simon & Garfunkel are above this debate.

Once again ... you do NOT have to have a driving beat to make great modern music.

12. I didn't go through all 13 pages, but I'm with the Nirvana people. Incredibly overrated.

And I like Nirvana. I really do. It's a function of them enjoying popularity during the best days of my life. As far as being transcendent musicians -- absolutely not. There were several legit bads in the Pac. Northwest making the same kind of music at the same time. It just so happens that Nirvana came first. Pearl Jam was 10x better.

Plus, really, it's my opinion that Nirvana had no staying power. Cobain knew this. You can only yell for so long.

Draft saved Draft deleted