1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most over-rated band ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, May 1, 2007.

1. After chiming in on the White Stripes/Pearl Jam thread, I got to thinking...
    Just who is the most over-rated band?
    For me, it's easily The Rolling Stones. Yes, they have some great songs, but they also put out a lot of crap and definitely don't deserve to be grouped with people like The Beatles or Led Zepplin, and it seems they often are.
    Am I wrong?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Even though I enjoy listening to Sgt. Pepper on my ITunes, which I'm doing right now, I'd say the Beatles.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good heavens! You're both dead wrong.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Stones haven't been worth a shit since Tattoo You, but I wouldn't call them overrated...not by a long shot. It's tempting to say Beatles, but since their stock seems to have dropped over the past 20 years, I'd say that they might have been overrated at one time, but not any more. I've always thought Pink Floyd sucked inflatable pig balls, but that's my own bias...I know people swear by them. Eric Clapton puts me to sleep. With the post-punk/new wave bands, I always thought that Talking Heads and U2 shot their wad early and got real boring after a few albums, but again, there are those who would be livid at such talk.

I guess you'd have to say overrated in terms of critical or popular opinion. For example, Van Halen were the number one rock band there for a while, but not too many critics liked them.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I think the best Stones stuff stands the test of time better than the best of the Beatles stuff.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

7. To make one thing clear, I don't mean that The Stones are, like, the worst band ever. I just mean the most overrated. I think they aren't nearly as good as they are supposed to be -- judging by what people and critics say about them.
    And to bring up The Beatles is insane. I just can't wrap my head around that at all.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

The Turtles.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I'd say Kiss, but I think we're sticking to bands that knew/know how to play music.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

How, Irish, has The Beatles' stock dropped over the past 20 years?

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would say KISS.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Eagles

Draft saved Draft deleted