1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the greatest? Which sport is the toughest to judge?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 12, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Over on the NHL Playoff thread, AMacIsaac argued that it is tougher to rank the best players in hockey than it is in the other major sports. Rather than start another threadjack/debate/pissing match, I thought I might start a thread on the subject.

In which sport is it toughest to pick the best ever?

Sure, it is easier to pick the best running back of all time (I say Jim Brown, but I'm thinking I might get an argument there) than the best hockey player of all time, but what about the best football player regardless of position? The roles of a running back and a quarterback are so different. How do you compare them? In theory, I probably wouldn't put a receiver in there, but was Jerry Rice so dominant at his position that you have to consider him?

Is hockey really that tough to judge? Sure, there are differences across eras, but the same is true for all sports. Football is drastically different now from even 30 years ago. Baseball has to account for things like integration, the dead ball era and the steroid era.

So, which one is the toughest? My first thought is that the specialization in football makes it the most difficult, but I hadn't really given it much thought until just now. What do y'all think?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Football.

Your evident performance/stats is routinely affected in great measure purely by the actions of one or more of your 10 teammates. Stuff that can only be seen in the film room in many cases.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

beer pong.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I quickly agree with Simon. How can you judge the greatest "football player" ever when there are so clearly so many different positions. You can more easily so judge the greatest "quarterback ever." But then again, like Simon said, even that player's success is partially contingent upon the performance of so many others.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Spirit squad.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A different sort of football that is tough to judge.

Caliente!

Somewhat NSFW

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/slideshow/view/11088866/27

7. outofplace

Especially quarterbacks. Take Terry Bradshaw. The man had tremendous physical gifts and his accomplishments certainly warrant his spot in the Hall of Fame, but he also had amazing talent around him. He also had more opportunities to prove himself than a No. 1 overall pick would get now. He didn't even win the starting job permanently until mid-way through the 1974 season, his fifth season in the league.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Easily football as noted above, but after that I would lean toward hockey (considering that we are looking at the major North American sports). Very tough to judge between eras, style of play and teammates.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Truthfully, there is no answer to either question...and that's the best part it from a debate standpoint.

"Who is the best (fill in the sport) player if all-time?" It's all subjective, all a matter of opinion. No definitive answer.
    "Which sports is toughest to judge?" Same situation.

Good questions, good discussion, no real answers.
    Just fun to debate.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Billiards. On the no-pocket tables.

11. outofplace

But how is hockey any tougher to judge than basketball? And if you are going to talk about comparing eras, how is it more difficult than baseball?

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I have no idea why anybody would say it's tougher to rank hockey players than players in any other major sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted