1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best game show host of all time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Jun 15, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Re: In memory of Bob Barker, who is the best game show host of all time?

Barker is the winner, by far, but I liked Gene Rayburn and always felt Chuck Barris was the funniest.

How many of you realize that Pat Sajak and Vanna White were not the first hosts of Wheel of Fortune? I'll post the answers later.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Chuck Woolery and Susan (?) Stafford

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Tom Bergeron

John Davidson

My first team: Cullen, Barker, Rayburn, Trebek and Woolery.

Second team: Convy, Dick Clark, Eubanks, Kennedy, Martindale.

HM's to Dawson, Jim Lange and Sajak.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Right you are on Woolery and Stafford, spnited. I can't tell you how many people don't believe it when I tell them Sajak wasn't first on the show.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Woolery was on for the first 4 or 5 years

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We'll be back in 2 and 2.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Groucho interviewing a lady who has 20 children:

Groucho Marx: Why do you have so many children? That's a big responsibility and a big burden.

Mrs. Story: Well, because I love my children and I think that's our purpose here on Earth and I love my husband.

Groucho Marx: I love my cigar too, but at least I take it out of my mouth once in a while.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Bill Cullen. Good on everything show--I was working midnights would watch his show Child's Play to put me to sleep.

Jim Lange on The Dating Game and Bob Eubanks on The NWG deserve a word--whoopee.

YHS, etc

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

Gee, that took all of 104 seconds :D

Bill Cullen is the all-time greatest game show host. Proof is how many shows he hosted. He was the man who they called to host the shows. He did Price Is Right before Bob Barker and also did the $20,000 pyramid. He had an easy manner with celebrities and contestants alike, and he treated things with just the right mix of seriousness and fun. He could be successful in any game show format, and you get the feeling he really wanted people to win.

Nipsey Russell was the greatest male celebrity game show contestant ever - if Nipsey was your partner, you probably weren't going home empty-handed. Of the female celebrity contestants, I think Carol Burnett gets the nod by a little bit over Betty White. They both are pretty smart, but I think Carol Burnett was a little better competitior.

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Woo hoo ... Guy Smiley!

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Love Connection may be the greatest "game" show of all-time. There is a game component to it, since the guy is choosing the best out of a group of women.

Non-romance, it's Barker by a mile, with Tomarken on his tail.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Here's hoping Barker has a happy retirement, filled with the gentle touch of former game show models. That said, he's not even close to being the best ever.

Bill Cullen did a wider variety of shows, interacted with celebrities and regular folks equally well, had a quick wit yet never got in the way of the show.

Barker did the last 15 years of Price in his sleep. Same stuff, same fat lady from Wisconsin bear-hugging him, no celebs to steal his thunder. Before that, he did a cheeseball syndicated "Truth or Consequences" where they had $10 prizes.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted