1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best current college basketball coach other than Coach K.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Izzo is first.
    K is second.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Izzo does more with a hell of a lot less than K has to work with.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

He has three NCAA championships.

And he made it to atleast the Sweet Sixteen five consecutive seasons after winning the 2000-01 title. Wouldn't most programs kill for that?

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'm talking in-game management and on-court success. I like to leave the rest out of the discussion, because more shady things go on in college basketball off the court than we will ever know, and I'm willing to bet that most of these coaches have broken rules to land recruits.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Izzo, in my mind, is the tops. He's created a perennial power through a culture of hustle, defense and attention to fundamentals. His teams always rebound, always convert shots they should convert, etc. This Final Four really crowns him as the best pure coach in the country.

After him? Pitino, Ol' Roy, Calhoun and Jay Wright as the Beaver. Nothing special.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If I was an AD with an opening and thought I had a shot at landing anybody, Izzo and Self would be the first two I called. Pitino is probably next.

If it's a career achievement award and not who you want right now, K is probably the winner with Calhoun up there too. I'll think more of Roy if he wins a title this year with a team he recruited.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Men - Either Roy or Izzo.
    Women - Auriemma.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Just throwing this name out - what about Mark Few?

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'd throw that name out, too -- out of the discussion.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Izzo might be above K right now.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I cannot stomach the inclusion of Bob Huggins on any list like this because I cannot ignore the coat of slime that trails him.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Tom Izzo's the man. Not just because of Sunday, either. People forget that when he came aboard at MSU, the Wolverines dominated both football and basketball in the state. Not anymore.

Moving up the charts for worst D-I coach is Iowa City's own Todd Lickliter. ::)

If anyone reading this has some college eligibility left, feel free to give him a call.

Draft saved Draft deleted