1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best college football player ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hugh Green was pretty awesome in his day. So was Butkus at Illinois.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

WFW...

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tommie Frazier would probably make the top five QBs of my lifetime.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Herschel Walker.

End. Of. Thread.

rb

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd toss Lawrence Taylor into that mix too.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Stick to the lacrosse threads! :)

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I can't believe anyone would try and lobby for anyone else but Jim Thorpe at Carlisle College.
    National championships, player of the year awards, knocking off No. 1 teams.
    This guy was clearly the best footballer and overall athlete we've ever had playing our sanctioned sports here in the USA.

Grange at Illinois was second as a footballer, and clearly tops the likes of Walker and Bo.

Walker was the best I ever saw live.
    Bo was sensational, too, when, as a frosh, he ran through Mississippi State's homecoming to the tune of 35-7 or somesuch.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This is such a subjective argument that it's almost impossible to say any one player was THE greatest ever. The college game has gone through so many evolutions, both on the field and in the wider society that you can't compare, say, a Jim Thorpe to a Herschel Walker, or a Joe Namath to a Vince Young. And the emphasis on the glamour positions overlooks the importance of the grunt players. I mean, who's to say that Lee Roy Selmon or John Hannah weren't among the greatest players ever. That said, in my time of watching college football (mid-60s on), Herschel Walker was an awfully dominating player for his entire four years at Georgia. He'd certainly be on the short list, along with Bo Jackson.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"My god, a freshman!" The answer can only be Herschel.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Herschel or Bo, as far as whom I've seen, who be the co-No. 1s. If Suh had had three other years just like this one, he'd be in the conversation.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

First person came to mind was Barry Sanders and his 39 TDs in a season. Herschel had 49 in three seasons. That's flat out mind boggling. And some say he couldn't be the greatest ever because he only had one good season. Well, the first two seasons at OSU he was backing up another NFL Hall of Famer.

Bo Jackson is also on this list, and although the system made him who he is, Danny Wuerffel was a great college player and fun to watch. Keyshawn was a very, very good college player, too.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Although I disagree, if this was put to a vote and Walker won, which seems to be the plurality opinion on the board, I sure wouldn't argue for a recount.
    I noticed I cited guys from the '60s, which is probably a reflection of my age, but hell, I'll stand with my guys.
    Of players in this decade, I'd go with Young. He was an unbelievable hoss at Texas.

Draft saved Draft deleted