1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best college football player ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Seconded, Faulk was amazing at SDSU.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Jim Brown
    O.J. Simpson
    Herschel Walker

Start with those three then fill in anybody else below.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's why I said "I've ever seen"

It's hard for anyone who has never seen Red Grange play to argue for him. Obviously he should be on every list though.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In terms of all-time greats Red, Grange, Davey O'Brien, Doak Walker and Sammy Baugh belong in this discussion.

In terms of in my lifetime it's either Herschel Walker or Bo Jackson. Nobody else is really close.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You guys are both just a bit off. Georgia actually beat Notre Dame to win the Sugar Bowl and 1980 national championship. The Penn St./Georgia Sugar Bowl was a couple years later.

6. Armchair_QB

PSU-UGa met in the Jan. 1, 1983 Sugar Bowl. Penn State won 27-23.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd go with Earl Campbell.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Probably not in a discusson of the best ever, but one of my favorites to watch was Doug Flutie.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The best college running back I ever saw was O.J. Simpson. Walker was close, but just close.
    The best college quarterback I ever saw was Namath. Flutie and Manning were up there, too.
    But the best FOOTBALL PLAYER in college I ever saw was George Webster when he was a linebacker at Michigan State

10. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I grew up in ACC country, so basketball was more important than football, but I remember Charlie Ward introducing me to the Florida State dynasty in the 90's.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Walker and Bo were playing on a different level. In the last 20-plus years, I haven't seen anyone dominate the way those two could. On the defensive side, Bosworth, for all his dooshiness and lackluster NFL career, was a beast in college.

12. Armchair_QB

Greatest defensive player of my football-watching lifetime is a tough one.

Bosworth would be in that discussion. So would Ronnie Lott, Hugh Green and Chris Spielman

Draft saved Draft deleted